Best Ways to Discover Melbourne
Melbourne is home to Australia's sporting events, fashion and cultural capital and attracts visitors from all over the world to enjoy its scenery and vibrant atmosphere.
According to a Roy Morgan poll, Melbourne is Australia's most desirable holiday destination, especially for shopping, theatre and fine dining.
Here are 10 suggestions to help you get the most from your visit to the city.
For more information about each suggestion, go to the web links at the bottom of the page..
1. Go to the Tourist Centre in in Federation Square (Flinders St) and enquire about current events and free public transport. Have a look around Federation Square (Melbourne's city square) while you're there.
2. Walk along the Yarra River from Federation Square, past Rod Laver Tennis Centre to either M.C.G (see below) or Melbourne's newest stadium, AAMI Stdaium. Enjoy the views of the city and the atmosphere in Birrarung Marr, Melbourne's newest park.
3. Visit the two major art galleries in Federation Square (The Ian Potter Centre) and St Kilda Road (NGV International | National Gallery of Victoria).
4. Take a river cruise either up river or towards the Port Phillip Bay at Williamstown.
5. Walk along St Kilda Rd to the Shrine of Remembrance and return to the city through parklands including Royal Botanic Gardens.
6. Visit Lygon St Carlton for an authentic Italian meal. Another fine dining experience is in the Chinatown district in Little Bourke Street in CBD. The world's largest food and wine festival takes place in Melbourne in March every year.
7. Visit Queen Victoria Market for a cheap meal, to pick up a souvenir and enjoy the atmosphere.
8. Take a tram to the bayside suburb of St Kilda for a swim, meal or walk along the waterfront promenade to Luna Park. Take a ride on the world's longest running 'human operated' Scenic Railway (Big Dipper).
9. Discover Melbourne's proud sporting heritage with a guided tour of Australia's top sporting venue, the Melboune Cricket Ground (MCG) which includes Australian Sporting Museum and Racing Museum.
10. Visit Docklands for a meal and views of the city, Southern Observation Wheel, Bolte Bridge and Westgate Bridge at night.
For the top 10 things to discover in Melbourne check out Victoria's Top Attractions
For our top suggestions see Where To Go in Melbourne
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Best Ways to Discover Melbourne
→ Federation Square Melbourne
→ NGV International | National Gallery of Victoria
→ The Ian Potter Centre: National Gallery of Victoria
→ Melbourne Park | Olympic Park
→ Melbourne Cruises
→ Shrine of Remembrance
→ Luna Park
→ Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
→ Carlton | Lygon Street | Little Italy
→ Melbourne Docklands | Guide
→ Docklands | Waterfront City
→ Royal Botanic Gardens
→ Transport Tickets | myki | Transport Tickets
→ 12 Apostles
❊ Also See... ❊
→ Victoria's Top 20 Attractions
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Make the most of your weekend in melbourne with these fabulous events on this weekend. No city does it better than Melbourne. Every Saturday and Sunday, you'll find ..
Update Page Request