Beaumaris 3193Beaumaris, a bayside residential suburb, is 20 km. south-east of Melbourne.
In 1845 James Moysey leased grazing land in the area and shortly afterwards purchased 32 hectares. He named his property Beaumaris Park, which derives from the Welsh coastal resort where Edward I built the Beau Marais castle. (The reason for Moysey's choice is unclear as he came from Devon.)
Beaumaris was beyond the railway extensions to Sandringham (1887) and Mordialloc (1881), but its coastal scenery drew the attention of entrepreneurs. In 1888 a Beaumaris Park Estate was auctioned, a horse tram service from Sandringham was provided and the Beaumaris Hotel was begun. Named as The Great Southern Hotel it was sited east of Ricketts Points, overlooking Beaumaris Bay and protected from westerly winds, with 61 rooms, a tower and promenade. Well back from the bayside the Royal Melbourne Golf Club established its course in 1901. Keefers boat shed and jetty, near the hotel, were built at about the same time.
An electric tram service from Sandringham, to Black Rock was opened in 1919, but the extension to Beaumaris did not come until 1926. It lasted only for five years. A school was opened in the Beaumaris hall in 1914, transferring to a permanent building on a site purchased from a market garden in 1917. Clarice Beckett painted many evocative canvasses of Beaumaris, 1918-35.
The Black Rock-Beaumaris Progress League was active in the 1930s, chiefly aimed at attracting visitors to take "delightful walks along rugged cliffs overlooking the sapphire blue waters and among inland wild flowers". Attractions included Honey-suckle Dell, Dingley Dell and Ricketts Point. Whilst housing was scattered, a contemporary municipal publication stated that land at Beaumaris always commanded high prices and its development into an area comparable to Toorak had been foreshadowed when the tram was connected. That particular prediction awaited the postwar years.
In 1959 the Beaumaris North primary school was opened, built on land that had previously been covered with moisture-loving ti-tree and manna gum. The land had been acquired six years before when increasing population was apparent. In 1958 the beginnings of a high school came with 90 students housed in the Methodist church hall, and the permanent site was occupied later that year.
Beaumaris has the Concourse drive-in shopping centre near the primary school, a smaller centre near the Beaumaris Hotel, and four parks/reserves. The largest is the Donald MacDonald reserve, named after the teacher and journalist whose nature writings were widely read. He died at Black Rock in 1932. MacDonald's ideas were continued in 1953 when the Beaumaris Tree Preservation Society was formed for conserving bushland in the face of land clearances for housing.
Beaumaris has both a yacht club and a motor yacht club, a bowling club and tennis courts. Ricketts Point is the most prominent part of the linear foreshore reserve.
During 1987-96 the median house price in Beaumaris was about 87% higher than the median price for metropolitan Melbourne.
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Beaumaris 3193
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. No city does it better than Melbourne. Get out and discover the very best of Melbourne shows, festivals, ..
Update Page Request