Upwey 3158Upwey is a residential suburb in hilly surrounds 34 km. east-south-east of Melbourne and 2 km. west of Belgrave.
Until the turn of the century Upwey did not have a separate identity. In the middle 1890s the part of the locality was divided into ten-acre blocks as part of the "Scoresby" village settlement scheme, which extended northwards to Ferny Creek. Notwithstanding the "Scoresby appelation, Upwey was known as Mast Gully, after several ship masts had been cut from the gully in 1850. (Mast Gully Creek and Mast Gully Road remain.)
In 1897 three sisters, Misses Tullidge, bought a homestead and named it Upwey, after the English village on the River Wey. They persuaded the Victorian Railways to approve a stopping place near their house, and the name Upwey was given to it. The name was adopted by common usage, the Upwey Church of England being built in 1904 (now in the nieghbouring locality of Tecoma). The post office was built in 1911 in a newly erected store.
The town had a Progress Association hall and a fire brigade. During the 1920s Upwey was the site of the Union Church's annual gathering, the Convention. More weekenders were built and a bowling green was opened in 1929. In 1934 the Upwey Primary School was opened, and a higher elementary school was established three years later. It became a high school in 1945, serving several Dandenong Ranges townships. Upwey's populations had rapidly increased, partly from wartime evacuees from the city deciding to stay, and weekenders were superseded by permanent residents.
Upwey's shopping centre is near the railway station, away from the Burwood Highway. The High and Primary Schools adjoin each other and there is an Upwey South Primary School.
Upwey's census populations have been 95 (1911) and 1,770 (1947).
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Upwey 3158
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. All day Saturday and Sunday to chill, fill and party to our hearts content. No city does it better than ..
Update Page Request