Wantirna 3152Wantirna is a residential locality 23 km. east of Melbourne, a few kilometres west of Bayswater. It is neither on a railway line nor on a radiating main road from Melbourne, and consequently underwent residential development later than some of its neighbouring areas. The nearest main road, Burwood Highway, divides Wantirna from Wantirna South. It is bounded on the north and west by the Dandenong Creek.
The area attracted settlement as one of the district's earliest cattle runs, Bushy Park, in 1841, which was situated on a track from Melbourne to the Dandenong Ranges. The area underwent closer settlement and orchards were established. In 1889 the railway line from Ringwood to Upper Ferntree Gully was opened, and one of the original stations was Bayswater. The Wantirna area became known as Bayswater West. In 1913 the Bayswater West Progressive Association wanted an original name, and chose Wantirna, an Aboriginal word thought to mean "gurgling stream". A newly opened postal receiving office was named Wantirna.
In 1919 the Wantirna apple and pear cool store was opened, followed shortly by the establishment of the Wantirna parish hall, Wantirna reserve and tennis courts. The Bayswater West primary school, renamed Wantirna, had opened in 1912. Wantirna South was recognised as a locality in 1928 when a mail service was begun. A post office was opened in 1933 and a primary school in 1940.
Wantirna was in the Fern Tree Gully shire. In 1963 a poll of voters in the western part of the shire was held on the proposal that it be severed and made a separate municipality. Although Wantirna had only 748 out of 20,000 voters, 89% of them wanted severance. It was the highest percentage of all the districts polled. The new municipality of Knox was established on 16 November, 1963. At that time the rural landscape of Wantirna predominated. An agricultural research station and experimental research station were opened in 1956, the latter named after Sir George Knox, orchardist, poultry farmer and local M.L.A.
The rapid urbanisation of Wantirna occurred after the formation of the Knox shire, whose council quickly raised loans for road making and community facilities. It had ample green fields sites, which attracted the Westfield Knox City shopping centre to Wantirna in 1977. Its lettable area in 1997 was 69000 sq. metres. Adjoining the shopping centre are the council offices and civic centre.
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Wantirna 3152
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Make the most of your weekend in Melbourne with these fabulous events. No city does it better than Melbourne, so get out and discover the very best shows, festivals, ..
Update Page Request