Portarlington 3223Portarlington, a coastal township on the north-east side of the Bellarine Peninsula, is 26 km. east of Geelong and 43 km. across Port Phillip Bay from the centre of Melbourne.
The origin of the name is obscure. Possibly it was named after Portarlington in Ireland, a market town south-west of Dublin.
Surveyed town lots were first sold in Portarlington in 1851, about eight years after Anne Drysdale settled at nearby Drysdale on her pastoral run. The Bellarine Peninsula was an early agricultural region for cereal crops, and later for hay, onions, peas and potatoes. The condition of the roads to Geelong, and the placement of shire tolls on the rods, encouraged farmers to ship produce to Melbourne from the nearest port. Portarlington's first public jetty was opened in 1859, lengthened into deeper water in 1870 and rebuilt in a few years time. The small port was also a destination for the Bay steamer excursion traffic.
Early industries in Portarlington included a flour mill (1857) and a brick and tile works (1870). The flour mill probably prospered when another at Drysdale was burnt down in 1861.
Town amenities and institutions mostly came during the 1870-90s: after holding church services in the mill, the Wesleyans built a church in 1871, and the Anglican and Catholic churches were built in 1883 and 1891. A primary school was opened in 1873 and the racecourse in 1883.
Portarlington settled into a small-town existence, its main industries being vegetables, fishing and grazing. Cargo transport relied on Bay shipping services and the railway which bypassed Portarlington on the route between Geelong and Queenscliff. The land where the racecourse was located west of the town included a common for grazing. The racecourse became a rifle range, and later sports ovals. More importantly, the foreshore reserve in front of the common and racecourse was developed for camping, which brought welcome holiday trade to the town. A golf course, tennis courts and a bowling club provided amenities for holiday makers and for new residents, and Portarlington grew as a retirement area after the 1960s.
The foreshore camping ground is extensive, with access-ways named after some of the Bay ships. The common is now a flora and fauna reserve, and foreshore reserves separate the elevated town centre from the beach. Quite near the foreshore is the Portarlington mill, a registered historic building. The churches, public hall and other facilities are clustered around the shopping area, which contains the prominent Grand Hotel.
The median house price in Portarlington in 1987 was $62,500 and $100,000 in 1996.
Portarlington's census populations were 243 (1871), 627 (1947), 1,224 (1966), 1,863 (1981) and 2,407 (1996).
❊ Notice ❊Venues and attractions have gone into lockdown as the state takes action to stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19).
Check with the administration (contact information below) before making plans.
→ Disclaimer: Details can change at any time. Check with the venue before making travel plans, buying tickets or proceeding ...
→ Coronavirus (COVID-19): Due to the outbreak of coronavirus disease, health authorities have advised that all non-essential, organised public gatherings of 100 or more people should be cancelled. ...
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Portarlington 3223
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Make the most of your weekend in Melbourne with these fabulous events. No city does it better than Melbourne, so get out and discover the very best shows, festivals, ..