Marshall 3216Marshall, previously called Marshalltown, is an industrial and residential suburb 5 km. south of Geelong. Its neighbouring area is Breakwater, and was included in that area before gaining a separate name.
The Breakwater area was used for tanneries, fellmongeries and animal by-product industries. Many of them were located there to take advantage of the saltwater Barwon River, south of the artificial breakwater that was built in 1837. By the mid 1850s Thomas Marshall, a Geelong wool merchant, established a wool-scouring works near the breakwater, and the place was named after him.
By the early 1900s Marshall had a small industrial township with a school, hotel, post office and an Anglican church. Most residents were employed in industries located on the Barwon River.
Marshall has remained beyond the edge of urban growth in the Geelong area. To its west Grovedale has expanded, to some extent occupying former Marshall territory. The urban centre of Marshall is near the intersection of Marshalltown and Barwon Heads Roads, with a reserve, tennis court and retirement village.
The primary school closed in 1948 because of declining attendances and the Anglican church closed during the 1980s.
Marshall's census populations have been 225 (1881), 281 (1966) and 420 (1981).
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Marshall 3216
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. All day Saturday and Sunday to chill, fill and party to our hearts content. No city does it better than ..
Update Page Request