Hartwell 3124Hartwell, near Camberwell is l0 km, east-south-east of Melbourne, It was named after Hartwell House (1853), built in the locality by James Irwin, and appeared as a name first in the District Roads Board minutes in 1857.
Hartwell's first buildings were located where Camberwell Road merges with the present Toorak Road. There were also two creeks (tributaries of Gardiners Creek), which made for difficult crossing by wayfarers. who would have had need of refreshment at the nearby inn. The creeks also supplied water for market gardens and nurseries. Hartwell had the first primary school (1858 - 1867), and post office (1862), for the Camberwell district.
When the Outer Circle railway was opened in 1891 there was a Hartwell station - the present Burwood station. Another station immediately to the north was opened in 1906 and named Hartwell Hill. It became Hartwell when the first one was renamed Burwood. Notwithstanding the opening of the railway line, residential development awaited the extension of the tram along Toorak road in 1916. The strip shopping centre and subdivisions strengthened in the 1920s. A primary school opened in 1922 (the original one having closed 53 years before). The shopping centre remained active until 1990 when the supermarket was closed, resulting in a rapid loss of passing trade.
Most of Hartwell's housing is on large allotments, with the California Bungalow landscape being interrupted in places by redevelopment In the form of dual occupancy, units or modern (usually two storey) buildings.
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Hartwell 3124
Update Page Request