Upotipotpon 3669Upotipotpon is an agricultural district 4 km. north of Violet Town. Its name came from the Upotipotpon pastoral station (1841) of about 16,600 ha., occupying land between Broken River and Stony Creek. It is thought that the name was derived from Aboriginal words pootong pootong, meaning plenty of grass.
The district consists of good to fair agricultural land near the Broken River, some low scrubby quartz ranges, and clay soil near Violet Town. When the land was taken up for selection there was scattered box timber.
Between 1882 and 1888 four primary schools were opened in the district, all carrying the Upotipotpon title. They were closed between 1938 and 1951. Upotipotpon West school was renamed Koonda, that name probability arising from the Koonda butter and cheese factory (1900).
Smaller localities near Upotipotpon are Caniambo and Tamleugh. At various times five schools were scattered throughout the Tamleugh district.
Upotipotpon's census populations were 240 (1911) and 131 (1933).
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Upotipotpon 3669
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. All day Saturday and Sunday to chill, fill and party to our hearts content. No city does it better than ..
Mad March Melbourne 2019
If there was any dispute as to Australia's leading events city, one only has to look at Melbourne in March to see how many first-class, world events are on. Melbourne ..
→ Page Editor