Malvern East 3145Malvern East is a residential area 10 km. south-east of Melbourne, about half the area of the former Malvern city. Its western boundary is Tooronga Road. Its postal district had Belgrave Road as its eastern boundary, but recent changes pushed the name and postcode further eastwards to Chadstone Road, and finally to Warrigal Road. The residents of the additional area preferred to have their houses in Malvern East instead of the less marketable Chadstone with its association with retail trade.
Malvern East is at the extremities of the tram service. Whereas Malvern has four east-west tramlines, Malvern East has two, reaching about a third of the way into it. Instead of two railway lines it has one, which ran to Darling (1890) and to East Malvern in 1929.
Housing in Malvern East is more uniform and unadorned than the housing in older Malvern. California bungalows and brick veneers are numerous, and a War Service Homes Commission estate was built in 1920, identified by Villiers and Bretonneux Squares. At the most easterly part, the Convent of the Good Shepherd occupied a large expanse of land, with land for grazing cattle, until the late 1950s.
Malvern East has small shopping centres near the two railway stations on its northern boundary, Darling and East Malvern. A strip shopping area runs along Waverley Road to the tram terminus at Darling Road. Regional shopping came to Malvern East when Myer acquired land from the Convent of the Good Shepherd in 1957 and built the Chadstone Shopping centre. The site was green fields one, but unusual in that it was positioned in an area very nearly surrounded by established housing.
Malvern East's part of the Gardiners Creek valley has numerous sports ovals and a public golf course. Closer to old Malvern is the linear Hedeley Dene Gardens, along a swampy gully acquired by the council in 1911. Ardrie gardens has tennis courts.
The Gardiners Creek valley has been the focus of citizens' attention on at least two occasions. In 1923 a Glen Iris Valley Recreation Club was formed to press for recreation space along the valley. In 1977 the Gardiners Creek Valley Association was formed to preserve the valley and adjacent houses from an extension of the South Eastern Freeway from Tooronga Road to Warrigal Road. Ultimately 1,000 residents were displaced by land acquisition.
Malvern East's famous primary school was Lloyd Street Central (1923) and a later school in the area east of Chadstone Road was Chadstone Park Primary (1953). The district's high school was Chadstone (1962- 1991).
In 1996 the median house price of $200,000 in Malvern East was 63% above the median for metropolitan Melbourne.
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Malvern East 3145
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Make the most of your weekend in Melbourne with these fabulous events. No city does it better than Melbourne, so get out and discover the very best shows, festivals, ..
Update Page Request