Hawthorn Tram Depot
This iconic building was built for the Hawthorn Tramways Trust (HTT) and opened in 1916.
Located at the junction of Power Street and Wallen Road, Hawthorn, it was designed by architect Leonard Flannagan in an American Romanesque style.
The depot initially consisted of a three storey building which housed offices, amenities and the electrical substation that provided traction power to the tramway, together with a four road tram shed located behind. It was enlarged in 1917 with a second three road tram shed designed by architects Sydney Smith and Ogg.
The location of the tram depot was chosen as it was adjacent to the junction of the main Riversdale Road/Swan Street line and the Power Street/Richmond branch line. This ensured that there was a minimum amount of 'dead' running to and from the depot for trams entering or leaving service.
The tram depot also consisted of a civil engineering yard located to the west and below the depot fan, now occupied by the 'Leonda' restaurant and car park. An unusual feature of the depot was a workshop located under the second tram shed accessed via a track through the civil engineering yard. Still located in the 'Leonda' car park is the former stable and shed for the horse-drawn tower wagon used to maintain the tramway overhead.
HTT tramcars operating from the depot ran the City to Wattle Park, City to Burwood and Richmond to Power Street tram services.
The HTT was taken over by the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board (M&MTB) in 1920.
It was planned to further expand Hawthorn Depot, but it was clear that the rapid growth of electric tramway traffic in the 1920s was outstripping the growth potential of the site. Instead, a large new depot was built at Camberwell near the junction of the Burwood, Wattle Park and Burke Road tramlines.
Conversion of Melbourne's cable tram system to electric traction and construction of new tramlines saw Hawthorn Depot supply tramcars and crews for the Chapel Street and City-Hawthorn via Bridge Road services.
The depot continued to operate as a running depot, but acquired an additional function in 1925, when the M&MTB moved the tram driver and conductor schools to Hawthorn Depot from Fitzroy. The M&MTB also opened its own uniform factory in the depot building in 1940.
The tram sheds were built for the narrow tramcars produced in the second decade of the twentieth century. However, in 1939 the M&MTB introduced new 'luxury' SW6 class tramcars with upholstered seats and sliding doors that were too wide to fit into the old tram sheds. Passengers of routes operated out of Hawthorn demanded that some of these more comfortable trams be allocated to these services, so the brick facades were removed in the 1940s, which just allowed the wider tramcars to squeeze in.
The increase of motor car traffic saw a declining need for public transport carried by trams, so Hawthorn Depot was closed as a running depot in 1965 due to the elimination of the City-Hawthorn service and its replacement by diversion of the City-Burwood service from Swan Street and Batman Avenue to Bridge Road and Flinders Street. Instead of continuing as a running depot, it was used only for storage of surplus tramcars, and for tramcars required for operation of the driver training school. In the early 1990s, the manufacture of uniforms was contracted out to commercial suppliers and driver training was returned to individual depots, so the building seemed doomed to decay and abandonment.
In 1996, the depot was included on the Victorian Heritage Register and soon after, was offered for redevelopment. The redevelopment, completed in 2002, included the innovative conversion of the main depot building to residential units and the building of new residential units at the rear of the depot site. The original facades of the two sheds were reconstructed, although all that remains of the second shed is the facade - the rest of the building was replaced by the residential development.
How to get there
The Melbourne Tram Museum @ Hawthorn Depot is located at 8 Wallen Road Hawthorn Victoria. Use the embedded Google Map at the bottom of this page to obtain detailed directions; the museum location is highlighted with an 'A'. The Melway reference for the museum location is Map 45 B12.
Please note that car parking spaces at the depot are very limited so you may need to park some distance away and walk if using your own vehicle.
Public transport access to the museum is excellent: the closest tram stop is at the corner of Riversdale Road and Power Street Hawthorn on tram routes 70 (Docklands - Wattle Park) and 75 (City - Vermont South). A short walk from the tram stop down Wallen Road will bring you to the museum entrance. For timetable details or public transport directions Public Transport Victoria | 1800 800 007.
The Melbourne Tram Museum @ Hawthorn Depot is open to visitors on the second and fourth Saturday of every month (except for December when it is only open on the second Saturday).
Admission is by gold coin donation.
❊ What's On ❊
❊ Address & Map ❊
⊜ 8 Wallen Road Hawthorn 3122 | Map
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Hawthorn Tram Depot
❊ Also See... ❊
→ Melbourne Cable Trams
Magic Show - Make Your Parents Disappear
Melbourne Food & Wine Festival 2018
After blowing away the nation in the grand final of Australia's Got Talent, Alex and Luke are back with a truckload of brand new trickery to fool your parents! Would | Read On..
Melbourne Food & Wine Festival 2018
16 March to 25 March 2018 The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival celebrates its 26th anniversary in 2018. The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival is a showcase of | Read On..
→ Page Editor