Edi & Edi Upper 3678Edi is on the king River, 35 km. south of Wangaratta in north-east Victoria. Edi Upper, 8 km. south-east of Edi, is on Black Range Creek which is a tributary of the King River.
The name Edi came from a pastoral station taken up by George Faithfull in 1849. It was also known as Hedi.
Edi township came about from the discovery of gold in its vicinity in 1862. When first established it was known as King Flat. A school was opened in 1874. The fertile river flats made Edi famous for tobacco growing, and hops were grown in the vicinity.
In 1899 the narrow-gauge railway from Wangaratta to Whitfield was opened, with a station at Edi. During its life, which ended in 1953, the railway provided Edi with improved market access for its agricultural products.
Edi is now the lesser of the two settlements, with a hall and a fire station. Edi Upper has a church, hall, tennis courts and a school.
Edi's census populations have been 314 (1911), 149 and 85 (Edi and Edi Upper, 1921) and 100 and 119 (Edi and Edi Upper, 1961).
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Edi & Edi Upper 3678
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. All day Saturday and Sunday to chill, fill and party to our hearts content. No city does it better than ..
Australian Open 2019
Melbourne in January means only one thing - the Australian Open. With the world's top tennis players fighting it out for the first Grand Slam title of the year, there's ..
→ Page Editor