Doongalla Homestead Picnic GroundsDoongalla Homestead was built in 1892, originally named 'Invermay' by the first owner, Sir Matthew Davies. The homestead consisted of 32 bedrooms and servants quarters and was situated on a parcel of the 279 hectare lot of land.
In 1908 'Invermay' was bought by Miss Helen Sisson who developed the garden and built the stables and renamed the Homestead 'Doongalla' which means place of peace and is very appropriately named.
Doongalla was sold in 1922 and burnt down in a bush fire ten years later in 1932 whilst the servants quarters and the stables remained untouched.
Today only the front steps of the original homestead remain. The servants quarters is now where the park ranger lives and where the stables were is now a picnic ground about 700 metres from the homestead.
Facilities at both the stables picnic ground and Doongalla Homestaed site include picnic tables, basic wood BBQs, information boards, designated car parking areas and toilets.
After viewing the remains of the Doongalla Homestead and Stables and maybe even a picnic lunch you can take this moderate walk though some of the Doongalla Forest.
STABLES TRACK LOOP 1.9kms Medium Difficulty
Starts and Finishes at Doongalla Homestead Picnic Ground Mountain Map D5
Gates close at 5pm daily.
❊ Address & Contact ❊
⊜ Simpsons Rd, The Basin | Map
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Doongalla Homestead Picnic Grounds
❊ Also See... ❊
→ The Basin 3154
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. All day Saturday and Sunday to chill, fill and party to our hearts content. No city does it better than ..
Update Page Request