Connewarre 3227

Connewarre is a rural locality, 3 km. south-west of Lake Connewarre on the Bellarine Peninsula, and 12 km. south of Geelong.

Lake Connewarre and its associated marshes are on the Barwon River, and are salt or brackish. The name is derived from koonoowarra or conawarr, Aboriginal words meaning black swan.

James Tait occupied the Connewarre Lakes pastoral station from 1849 to 1856. Within ten years of Tait's departure there was a postal village of Connewarre and a Connewarre Road Board District of 105 sq. km. in which 500 people resided. Anglican and Presbyterian schools were opened in 1858 and 1864, the latter at Connewarre East. They were replaced by a State school in 1877, which continued until 1993.

Connewarre remains a pastoral and agricultural district with an estimated population of 500 persons. Its census populations were 407 (1911) and 140 (1961).



❊ Web Links ❊


Connewarre 3227 




Suburbs | Greater Melbourne



Trending HOT..






Page Editor

UPDATE