Clarinda 3169

Clarinda is a residential locality in Clayton South, 17 km. south-east of Melbourne. As a locality Clarinda predates Clayton South, a Presbyterian church being opened there in 1886. At that time the pace was known as Bald Hills, a name preserved to the present day in the Bald Hills reserve.

Clarinda, predominantly an elevated sandy location, provided a view of Port Phillip Bay. It had a mixture of market gardens (on the better soil) and open heath lands. When a primary school was opened in the church in 1899 within a year it was renamed Bayview, to avoid confusion with Bald Hills in the Ballarat area. The name was finally changed to Clarinda in 1912. The census population in 1933 was 189. Clarinda continued to be a market gardening area with the typical post office, school and church until the mid 1950s when residential housing began to be built. A golf links was overtaken by housing. Additions were made to the school in 1953 and 1957.

Clarinda has a small drive-in shopping centre and two retirement villages, in addition to the early church and primary school.


❊ Web Links ❊


Clarinda 3169 









Trending HOT


View Event: Lunar New Year Festivals 2020 | Melbourne
Lunar New Year Festivals 2020 | Melbourne
Saturday 25th January 2020 is Lunar New Year's Day Melbourne hosts Chinese and Lunar New Year festivals in the Melbourne's CBD and suburbs. Each festival offers ..

View Event: Australian Open 2020
Australian Open 2020
Melbourne in January means only one thing - the Australian Open. With the world's top tennis players fighting it out for the first Grand Slam title of the year, there's ..





Update Page Request