Ideally positioned just eight kilometres southeast of Melbourne city, Caulfield Racecourse has 20 racedays fixtured feature race days.
Affectionately known as "The Heath", the course is readily accessible by car, bus, tram or train. The new Caulfield track was opened in April 1996 and features banked turns and an outer circuit for 1,700m, 1800m and 2000m races.
The magnificent Rupert Clarke stand is glassed in for added comfort during winter and summer and offers uninterrupted viewing. Soon to be positioned as a dedicated centre of racing excellence where only feature racedays are conducted, Caulfield hosts some of the nation's most famous and historic races.
In Spring, the Caulfield Carnival comprises three days of outstanding racing through Caulfield Guineas Day, Thousand Guineas Day and culminating in Caulfield Cup Day, featuring one of the world's great 2,400 metre handicap races.
The Summer Classics Carnival at Caulfield features Victoria's richest event for two-year-olds - the Blue Diamond Stakes. Other time-honoured Autumn highlights include the C.F. Orr Stakes, Oakleigh Plate and Futurity Stakes.
Caulfield Racecourse Information
Racing was first held on the Caulfield site in 1859. In Caulfield's early days of racing, jockeys rode through rough bush, heath, and sand hills earning Caulfield its affectionate nickname "The Heath".
The Melbourne Racing Club (formerly Victoria Amateur Turf Club) held its first meeting at Caulfield on August 5, 1876. In 1879, the Club introduced the Caulfield Cup to its fixture. Regarded by many as Australia's best staying test, contenders must have a combination of both speed and stamina to take victory in this prestigious event.
Racecourse and Track Profile
The new look at Caulfield Racecourse was unveiled in April 1996 when the course re-opened after being closed since the running of the 1995 Caulfield Cup.
After major reconstruction of the course proper, the track was widened to 30 metres around the entire circumference and the straight lengthened by 43 metres. The new racing surface has been cambered from the outside running rail with the crown of the track at the outside running rail. The banking on the turn into the home straight is 4 percent, while the other turns have an equivalent banking of 2 percent.
Further to the major works in 1996, the Caulfield track was re-laid in 2005 immediately proceeding the Caulfield Cup Carnival and resumed racing for the Summer Classics Carnival, in February 2006.
How to Get There
There is ample free car parking at the Caulfield Racecourse.
The racecourse is only 20 minutes from Melbourne's city centre, along Dandenong Road or the South Eastern Arterial. The turnoff to the racecourse is clearly signposted.
By public transport
Caulfield Racecourse is situated only 20 minutes from the city on the Frankston and Dandenong train lines. Trains depart approximately every 10 minutes from Flinders Street station. Patrons need only walk a short distance to the racecourse from Caulfield station. Caulfield Racecourse is also easily reached by tram - the tram stop is within walking distance of the main gate. The No. 3 tram travelling from the city along Swanston Street leaves every 12 minutes from the corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets. The journey takes about 25 minutes with racegoers alighting at Stop No. 52.
Melway reference: 68 E2
❊ Address & Contact ❊
⊜ Station Street Caulfield East | Map
✆ 1300 467 223 | +61 3 9257 7200
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Caulfield Racecourse
❊ Also See... ❊
→ Caulfield Racecourse Reserve
→ Melbourne Racing Club
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. All day Saturday and Sunday to chill, fill and party to our hearts content. No city does it better than ..
Update Page Request