Abbotsford, a residential and industrial suburb, is in the eat of Collingwood, between Hoddle Street and the Yarra River. It was named after a property owned by John Orr in Kew, the bordering suburb over the Yarra River.
In the 1850s a land auction for the "Abbotsford township Read more..
View Profile | Abbotsford Altona 3018
Altona has a long history as one of the first suburbs of Melbourne. Prior to arrival of Europeans, the Altona area was home to Kurung-Jang-Balluk Aboriginal people, of the Woiwurrung clan. It is estimated at the time of European settlement, the local Aborigines numbered just 40. Read more..
View Profile | Altona Ashburton 3147
Ashburton is a mostly postwar residential suburb located 11 km. south east of Melbourne. The locality's name arose when the station on the Outer Circle railway line (1890} was named Ashburton, at the suggestion of a former local councillor, E. Dillon who had lived in Ashburton Te Read more..
View Profile | Ashburton Ashwood 3147
Ashwood, 14 km. south-east of Melbourne, is a residential suburb adjoining Ashburton and Burwood. Its name derives from its two neighbours.
Ashwood's western boundary is Warrigal Road, the boundary between the former Oakleigh city and the Mulgrave shire. In the early postwar y Read more..
View Profile | Ashwood Auburn 3123
Auburn is a residential area 8 km. east of Melbourne, situated in the Hawthorn area. It has a railway station with an adjacent shopping centre, near what was the main outgoing thoroughfare from Melbourne through Hawthorn at the time of Hawthorn's early settlement.
The area in Read more..
View Profile | Auburn Avonsleigh 3782
Avonsleigh, first known as East Emerald, is 46 km. east-south-east of Melbourne. Its name arose from Avonsleigh guest house, close to the Wright stopping place on the Belgrave to Gembrook railway line (now the "Puffing Billy" scenic railway). J.W. Wright was the owner of the gues Read more..
View Profile | Avonsleigh Balaclava 3183
Balaclava, part of St. Kilda East, is 7 km. south-east of Melbourne. It was named after the battlefield in the Crimean War (1853-6), and has street names such as Nightingale, Inkerman, Raglan and Sebastopol.
It is well served by public transport, having trams in Chapel Street Read more..
View Profile | Balaclava Balwyn 3103
I grew up in and around Balwyn, even played footy for the mighty Balwyn Tigers and its easy to see why it draws families to the area, as described by Kerrie O'Brien in The Age.
THIS part of Melbourne is often considered home to the establishment, to "middle Australia", with it Read more..
View Profile | Balwyn Balwyn North 3104
Balwyn North, larger in area than Balwyn and Deepdene together, is predominantly postwar in its residential growth. In 1941 Balwyn North was described as the next housing-site destination after the occupation of the Mont Albert Ridge in Balwyn was completed.
The Doncaster Road Read more..
View Profile | Balwyn North Bangholme 3175
Bangholme is situated on the former Carrum Swamp between Keysborough and Chelsea Heights, roughly 30km south-east of Melbourne.
The name Bangholme comes from a waterhole on the Eumemmerring Creek near Bangholme, where Joseph Hawdon pastured stock in 1837. The name of the wate Read more..
View Profile | Bangholme Bayswater 3153
Bayswater is a residential and industrial suburb 28 km. east of Melbourne.
The area was originally part of Scoresby North and settlement began in the 1860s. Many settlers were German. A school was opened in 1874 in a building provided by the Lutheran Congregation. A State prim Read more..
View Profile | Bayswater Beaconsfield 3807
Beaconsfield, forty six kilometres east of central Melbourne on Cardinia Creek, was originally known as Little Berwick. It is immediately to the east of Berwick. A small settlement grew up in the vicinity of Bowman's Inn, a coaching stop on the road to Gippsland. When gold was di Read more..
View Profile | Beaconsfield Beaconsfield Upper 3808
Beaconsfield Upper is 45 km south-east from Melbourne's central business district in the Shire of Cardinia.
Gold prospectors were the first residents of the forested foothills now known as Upper Beaconsfield, which is about fifty kilometres east of central Melbourne. In 1872 H Read more..
View Profile | Beaconsfield Upper Beaumaris 3193
Beaumaris, a bayside residential suburb, is 20 km. south-east of Melbourne.
In 1845 James Moysey leased grazing land in the area and shortly afterwards purchased 32 hectares. He named his property Beaumaris Park, which derives from the Welsh coastal resort where Edward I built Read more..
View Profile | Beaumaris Belgrave 3160
Belgrave is 35 km east from Melbourne's central business district in the Shire of Yarra Ranges includes Belgrave Heights and Belgrave South.
Belgrave first settled in 1851 was named after a chapel in Leeds, England by Mr and Mrs R.G. Benson when they came to Melbourne in 1856. Read more..
View Profile | Belgrave Bentleigh 3204
Bentleigh (3204) including Bentleigh East (3165) is a residential suburb 12 km. south-east of Melbourne, immediately to the north of Moorabbin. It is relatively compact, lying between Centre and South Roads with Brighton on one side and the larger Bentleigh East on the other.
View Profile | Bentleigh Berwick 3806
Berwick, once a small agricultural town, now an outer suburb, is located 43 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. The area was part of Cardinia Creek run and was named by an early leaseholder, Robert Gardiner, after his birthplace, Berwick-on-Tweed. Land was subdivided in 1854 and Read more..
View Profile | Berwick Black Rock 3193
Black Rock, a bayside suburb between Sandringham and Beaumaris, is 18 km. south-south-east of Melbourne. It was named after Black Rock House, a grand residence built by Charles Hotson Ebden in 1856, who had taken the name from Black Rock, Dublin. Ebden was an early Port Phillip p Read more..
View Profile | Black Rock Blackburn 3130
Blackburn is a residential suburb 17 km. east of Melbourne, between Box Hill and Nunawading. About 400 metres south of the township is the Blackburn Creek, thought to have been named after an early settler or after James Blackburn, the designer of Melbourne's Yan Yean water suppl Read more..
View Profile | Blackburn Blackburn North 3130
Blackburn North is a residential area 17 km, east of Melbourne extending from Blackburn to the Koonung Creek.
The rural background to Blackburn North was much like that of Blackburn's. Its residential development came as urbanisation spread from Blackburn. In 1954 the primary Read more..
View Profile | Blackburn North Blackburn South 3130
Blackburn South, a residential suburb 17 km, east of Melbourne, is bounded by Middleborough Road on the west and Forest Hill on the east. Its southern border abuts Burwood East. The dividing line between Blackburn and Blackburn South is Canterbury Road.
Its residential develop Read more..
View Profile | Blackburn South Boronia 3155
Boronia is a residential suburb 29 km. east of Melbourne near Ferntree Gully.
Land selections began in the Boronia area in the 1870s, and the Ringwood to Upper Ferntree Gully railway was built in 1889, passing through Boronia, but not providing it with a station. The nearest s Read more..
View Profile | Boronia Box Hill 3128
Box Hill, a residential area 14 km. east of Melbourne, is between Camberwell and Blackburn. About one-third of the western part of Box Hill was in Henry Elgar's Special Survey of 8 square miles (1841).
In 1875 Box Hill was part of the Nunawading shire, which stretched from Cam Read more..
View Profile | Box Hill Box Hill North 3129
Box Hill North, 14 km. east of Melbourne, is bordered by the Koonung Koonung Creek on the north, and stretches east-west across the whole of the former Box Hill municipality. Its southern boundary is about 300 metres north of Whitehorse Road, giving it dimensions of about 3 km. b Read more..
View Profile | Box Hill North Braeside 3195
Braeside is a predominantly industrial suburb with a metropolitan park, 26 km. south-east of Melbourne and immediately east of Mordialloc. The name came from a farm property, Braeside, owned by members of the Keys family (see Keysborough), east of the present Epsom Training track Read more..
View Profile | Braeside Breamlea 3227
Breamlea, on the estuary of Thompsons Creek which enters Bass Strait west of Barwon Heads, is about 28 km. south of Geelong.
Thompsons Creek was also known as Bream Creek, and attracted campers and fishermen from the 1870s onwards. By the 1920s makeshift huts were built by reg Read more..
View Profile | Breamlea Briar Hill 3088
Briar Hill, 18 km. north-east of Melbourne, is a residential and light industrial area bout a kilometre east of Greensborough. Its name possibly derives from the type of tangled vegetation which covered the hill which ascends to its north.
Its growth was tied to Greensborough' Read more..
View Profile | Briar Hill Brighton 3186
Brighton is a residential bayside suburb 11 km. south-east of Melbourne.
In 1840 the British Government's Land and Emigration Commission approved procedures for the sale of "Special Survey" land allotments of eight square miles (5,120 acres at one pound each - 2,072 ha.), chie Read more..
View Profile | Brighton Brighton East
Brighton East is a residential suburb 13 km south-east of Melbourne. It is east of Hampton Street and between North and South Roads. Its northern section is crossed by the Elster Creek (which runs into the Elwood Canal), and it was better watered than Henry Dendy's Brighton towns Read more..
View Profile | Brighton East Broadmeadows 3047
Broadmeadows is a residential and industrial suburb 16 km. north of Melbourne and until 1994 it was a municipality.
The lightly wooded landscape between the Merri and Moonee Ponds Creeks attracted pastoralists in the 1840s. In 1850 a Government survey laid out a township in an Read more..
View Profile | Broadmeadows Brunswick 3056
Brunswick is an inner-urban suburb 6 km. north of Melbourne. It is bounded on the west and the east by the Moonee Ponds and Merri Creeks respectively. On its south it adjoins Melbourne city and Yarra city (east of Sydney Road). Its northern boundary is Moreland Road. These suburb Read more..
View Profile | Brunswick Brunswick East 3057
Brunswick East is an inner-urban suburb 6 km north of Melbourne. It lies between Lygon Street and the Merri Creek, and adjoins Carlton North and Fitzroy North at its southern border.
Brunswick East is within 900 metres of Sydney Road which formed the spine of Brunswick when it Read more..
View Profile | Brunswick East Brunswick West 3055
Brunswick West is a residential suburb 6 km. north of Melbourne. It lies between the Moonee Ponds Creek and central Brunswick with the Royal Park lands at its southern border.
It was the last area to be settled residentially in the former Brunswick municipality, being somewha Read more..
View Profile | Brunswick West Bulla 3428
Bulla is a township with rural surrounds, immediately north-west of the Melbourne Airport, Tullamarine, and 25 km. north-west of Melbourne. The township is on Deep Creek, a tributary of the Maribyrnong River, and the creek has carved a sinuous course through a valleyed landscape. Read more..
View Profile | Bulla Bulleen 3105
Bulleen is 12 km north-east from Melbourne CBD in the City of Manningham. At the 2011 Census, Bulleen had a population of 10,868.
Bulleen adjoins the eastern side of the Yarra River, which curves around as a northern boundary of Bulleen, comprising public and private recreatio Read more..
View Profile | Bulleen Bundoora 3083
Bundoora is an extensive suburb comprising residential, community-service and educational areas 15 km. north-east of Melbourne. It is bordered on the west by the Darebin Creek and on the east by the Plenty River, Greensborough and Macleod (going from north to south). Bundoora con Read more..
View Profile | Bundoora Burnley Richmond 3121 | History
Burnley is a residential suburb in the southern and eastern parts of Richmond, 4 km. east-south-east of Melbourne.
Bounded on the south and east by the Yarra River, the other boundaries are in the area of Mary and Swan Streets. Taking that to be so, about half of the Burnley Read more..
View Profile | Burnley Burwood 3125
Burwood (3125) and Burwood East (3151) extend eastwards from Melbourne, beginning at a distance of about 11 km. from Melbourne's centre and ending 17 km. from the centre, roughly from Warrigal Road to Springvale Road.
Burwood's origins were in the village of Ballyshanassy, wh Read more..
View Profile | Burwood Camberwell 3124
Camberwell is a residential suburb 9 km east of Melbourne, between Hawthorn and Burwood.
Until the 1850s the area was occupied for grazing, being described as "light sandy country, timbered with gum and oak," Roads were rudimentary, but at one point three roads intersected, an Read more..
View Profile | Camberwell Campbellfield 3061
Campbellfield, a residential and industrial suburb 17 km. north of Melbourne, is situated east of Broadmeadows. It is on the Hume highway and its eastern boundary is the Merri Creek.
Two families named Campbell, apparently unrelated, bought farm properties in the area in the 1 Read more..
View Profile | Campbellfield Camperdown 3260
Camperdown is a rural township on the Western District volcanic plains of Victoria. It is 40 km. west of Colac and 165 km west-south-west of Melbourne.
Camperdown is famed for its early settlers, the Manifold brothers. In 1838 John and Peter Manifold, who had brought sheep to Read more..
View Profile | Camperdown Canterbury 3126
Canterbury is an older residential suburb 10 km. east of Melbourne, noted for spacious residences. It adjoins Camberwell on its east and north , and its early settlement and subdivision into market gardens and orchards accompanied Camberwell's. Canterbury was named after Viscount Read more..
View Profile | Canterbury Carlton 3053
Carlton is a residential, commercial and educational area adjoining the northern boundary of central Melbourne at Victoria Street. Its other boundaries are Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade, Cemetery Road/Princes Street and Nicholson Street. The University of Melbourne is in the post Read more..
View Profile | Carlton Carlton North 3054
Carlton North is a residential suburb 4 km. north of Melbourne. Its southern boundary is Princes Street/Cemetery Road. On its west is Princes Park, next to which is the Melbourne General Cemetery.
In 1853 both the Melbourne General Cemetery and a penal stockade came to Carlton Read more..
View Profile | Carlton North Carnegie 3163
Carnegie is a residential suburb 12 km. south-east of Melbourne on the railway line between Caulfield and Oakleigh. The area was originally known as Rosstown after William Ross, an entrepreneur who constructed a railway line through the area from Oakleigh to Elsternwick. The line Read more..
View Profile | Carnegie Carrum Downs 3201
Carrum Downs is a residential area 34 km. south-east of Melbourne adjoining the bayside suburb of Carrum Most of the area is on the former Carrum Swamp.
Carrum Downs was a farming area until the 1980s, with the social centre bring the primary school which was opened in 1909. Read more..
View Profile | Carrum Downs Caulfield 3162
Caulfield, a residential area with a prominent metropolitan racecourse, is on Dandenong Road, 10 km. from Melbourne. Until 1994 Caulfield was also a municipal city. The origin of the name is uncertain, although John Caulfield, a builder who arrived in Melbourne in 1837, has been Read more..
View Profile | Caulfield Chadstone 3148
Chadstone, a residential suburb 13 km. south-east of Melbourne, is best known for having metropolitan Melbourne's largest super-regional shopping centre. (Highpoint, Maribyrnong, is the other super-regional centre.)
The name comes from Chadstone Road, which was laid out in 19 Read more..
View Profile | Chadstone Chelsea Heights
Chelsea Heights is a residential suburb 30 km. south-east of Melbourne, inland from and adjoining the bayside suburb of Chelsea. The name Chelsea was proposed by a local resident for the new railway station when it was opened on the Caulfield to Frankston line in 1882.
Chelse Read more..
View Profile | Chelsea Heights Cheltenham 3192
Cheltenham is a residential suburb 18 km. south-east of Melbourne adjoining the bayside suburbs of Beaumaris and Mentone. Its name came from the Cheltenham Inn, opened by Charles Whorral from Cheltenham, Gloustershire, England, in 1853 in the place known as Two Acre Village (1852 Read more..
View Profile | Cheltenham Chirnside Park 3116
Chirnside Park, formerly West Lilydale or a part of Mooroolbark, is a suburb 33 km. east of Melbourne.
The original settlement of Chirnside Park was centred on the Mooroolbark Park homestead and grazing property which had a succession of owners from 1845 until 1921 when it was Read more..
View Profile | Chirnside Park Christmas Hills 3775
Christmas Hills is a rural locality 37 km north-east of central Melbourne, between Kangaroo Ground and Yarra Glen..
It was occupied for grazing by 1842 and a shepherd named David Christmas became lost. He was found at a rise which became known as Christmas Hill, and the name w Read more..
View Profile | Christmas Hills Clarinda 3169
Clarinda is a residential locality in Clayton South, 17 km. south-east of Melbourne. As a locality Clarinda predates Clayton South, a Presbyterian church being opened there in 1886. At that time the pace was known as Bald Hills, a name preserved to the present day in the Bald Hil Read more..
View Profile | Clarinda Clayton 3168
Clayton is a residential and industrial suburb 18 km. south-east of Melbourne on the Oakleigh to Dandenong railway line.
The area was first occupied for farming purposes in the 1850s. The first township was on Dandenong Road where Clayton North is now situated. The constructio Read more..
View Profile | Clayton Clifton Hill 3068
Clifton Hill is a residential suburb 4 km north-east of Melbourne, separated from Collingwood by Alexandra Parade and the Eastern Freeway. Its eastern boundary is the Merri Creek, and the northern boundary is the road to Heidelberg.
An early landowner, better known in Richmond Read more..
View Profile | Clifton Hill Clifton Springs 3222
Clifton Springs is a coastal residential township on the northern side of the Bellarine Peninsula, 18 km. east of Geelong.
An early land owner was Thomas Bates, a member of the family which settled Lara and Batesford. Thomas Bates named his property Clifton, and mineral spring Read more..
View Profile | Clifton Springs Cobram 3643
Cobram, a rural township in northern Victoria, is on the Murray River, north of Shepparton. It is situated in the Murray Goulburn irrigation district.
Cobram was the name of a pastoral station taken up by Octavius Phillpotts in 1845. It is thought that the name is derived from Read more..
View Profile | Cobram Coburg 3058
Coburg, a residential suburb 8 km. north of Melbourne, was also a municipality from 1874 to 1994. The municipality was bordered on the south by Brunswick city and on the west and east by the Moonee Ponds and the Merri Creek valleys. Much of the land is overlain with basaltic lava Read more..
View Profile | Coburg Coburg Hill 3058
Melbourne's newest suburb, Coburg Hill will have around 400 new homes built on the former Kodak site in Coburg in Melbourne's north.
Finally, one of Melbourne's oldest Antique Dealers, Coburg Hill Antiques will finally have its namesale albeit the business is located in Bruns Read more..
View Profile | Coburg North Coburg North 3058
Coburg North, a residential area 10 km. north of Melbourne, contains the localities of Batman, Merlynston and Newlands. The first two are on the Coburg to Fawkner railway line and the last is east of the Merri Creek.
Coburg North comprised two allotments, each of about one squ Read more..
View Profile | Coburg North Cockatoo 3781
In the steep foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, 48 kilometres east of central Melbourne, lies the township of Cockatoo. In the 1850s, prospectors searching for gold bestowed the name Cockatoo Creek, supposedly because of large numbers of cockatoos there. When land was selected in Read more..
View Profile | Cockatoo Colbinabbin 3559
Colbinabbin is a rural district with a small township in northern Victoria between Rushworth and Elmore.
Colbinabbin was one of four pastoral runs taken up by Edward Curr in 1844, and was watered by the Cornella Creek and Lake Cooper. Its name is thought to be derived from an Read more..
View Profile | Colbinabbin Coldstream 3770
Coldstream is a mainly rural area, but with a growing residential component, 36 km. east of Melbourne, extending northwards from Lilydale to the Yarra River.
The part of Coldstream nearest the river contains Yering and Yeringberg, where the Ryrie brothers, overlanders from Ne Read more..
View Profile | Coldstream Collingwood 3066
Collingwood, an industrial and residential suburb, is 3 km. north-east of Melbourne. Its western boundary is Smith Street, Fitzroy, and its southern boundary is Victoria Parade. On its east are Clifton Hill and Abbotsford, both included in the former Collingwood municipality. It Read more..
View Profile | Collingwood Connewarre 3227
Connewarre is a rural locality, 3 km. south-west of Lake Connewarre on the Bellarine Peninsula, and 12 km. south of Geelong.
Lake Connewarre and its associated marshes are on the Barwon River, and are salt or brackish. The name is derived from koonoowarra or conawarr, Aborigin Read more..
View Profile | Connewarre Coode Island 3003
Coode Island, an almost uninhabited industrial area, is 4 km. west of Melbourne.
It was formed in 1886 when canal was cut through the Sandridge swamp to provide a straightened stream for the Yarra River.
The boundaries were the canal on the south, the Maribyrnong River on Read more..
View Profile | Coode Island Coolaroo 3048
Coolaroo is a residential and industrial suburb 18 km. north of Melbourne, west of the Ford motor car factory, Hume Highway, and between Broadmeadows and Somerton. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word for brown snake.
Coolaroo was part of a large area acqu Read more..
View Profile | Coolaroo Corio 3214
Corio is a residential and industrial suburb in the Geelong region, 9 km. north of Geelong and 56 km. south-west of Melbourne. It adjoins Corio Bay, which is on the western side of Port Phillip Bay. It is thought that the bay was named after an Aboriginal word meaning "sandy clif Read more..
View Profile | Corio Cranbourne 3977
Approximately forty six kilometres south-east of Melbourne lies the rapidly growing town of Cranbourne. The earliest settlers were the Ruffy brothers who squatted on Mayune run in 1836. They conducted the Cranbourne Inn, which may have been named after a town in Berkshire or afte Read more..
View Profile | Cranbourne Creswick 3363
Creswick is a former gold-mining township 20 km. north of Ballarat. It is set in undulating ranges, partly forested, which formed an extensive goldfields area that was discovered during the early 1850s. Creswick has several local industries and a population of about 2,500 people. Read more..
View Profile | Creswick
Advertising | Add To This Page | Go To Page Top