St James' Old Cathedral
St James' Old Cathedral is an Anglican church seeking to love, enjoy, and worship the Triune God we meet through Jesus Christ. We gather within the simple beauty of Melbourne's oldest building to be refreshed by the mercies of God, which are new every morning. We are a warm, happy, truly all-age community that enjoys traditional Anglican worship, faithful bible teaching, classic hymns and sublime choral music spanning the renaissance era to new commissions.
St James' surprises people. Many who had previously drifted away from church have found the Old Cathedral an ideal place to renew their relationship with God; and many visitors to our city have made us their home away from home. Do join us!
St James' Old Cathedral is regarded as the oldest building (foundation stone date) in Melbourne.
The building relocated from Collins and William Streets Melbourne to King Street Melbourne in 1914.
St James' Anglican Church was originally built on a crown grant site on the corner of William and Little Collins Streets. The foundation stone was laid by Charles La Trobe, Superintendent of the District of Port Philip, on the 9th November 1839. The new church replaced an original interdenominational timber church.
Visiting today, many are struck by the beauty of the well-maintained symmetrical interior, one of the finest examples of a Colonial Georgian aesthetic in Australia today. A fuller sense of the history of St James' can be attained by a visit to the church. Entry is free and tour groups are welcome if organised in advance. A more detailed history can also be purchased at St James'.
Service Times: Sunday: 10:00am Wednesday: 12:30pm
❊ Address & Contact ❊
⊜ Corner King Street and Batman Street West Melbourne | Map
✆ 03 9329 090
❊ Web Links ❊
→ St James' Old Cathedral
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Make the most of your weekend in Melbourne with these fabulous events. No city does it better than Melbourne, so get out and discover the very best shows, festivals, ..
Update Page Request