Royal Melbourne Golf Club
The Melbourne Golf Club has existed continuously from 1891 and is regarded as the oldest golf club in Australia.
The privilege of adding the term "Royal"to the Club's name was granted by Queen Victoria in 1895. Women appeared on the links during 1892 and in September of that year they were admitted as Associates of the Club. The first annual meeting was held at the Caufield Clubhouse in June 1893 and the first competition was held in August 1893. The prize of three custom-made balls, donated by Mary Orme Masson, was won by Mrs Maudsley with two holes up.
Influenced by his time with Dr Mackenzie, Mr Alex Russell designed the East Course. It was laid out during 1930-1 and with Mr Mick Morcom in charge of construction was ready for play in 1932.
This course was designed in 1926 by the renowned Scottish golf architect, Dr Alister Mackenzie. Working with the help of Mr Alex Russell and Mr Mick Morcom (Head Greenkeeper), the course design by Dr Mackenzie was opened for play in 1931.
❊ What's On ❊
❊ Address & Contact ❊
⊜ Cheltenham Road Black Rock | Map
✆ (613) 9598 6755
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Royal Melbourne Golf Club
→ Melbourne to host 2011 Presidents Cup
Update Page Request