Melbourne -v- SydneyAs the song says, the beat goes on..
Melbourne is better than Sydney
Sydney is better than Melbourne
Who knows? Who cares?
Melbourne is better than Sydney
We were delighted to see FACEBOOK's Melbourne is better than Sydney group with over 84,730 members in July 2010.
A few of the top reasons.. Better and cheaper food, nicer people, Arts and Entertainment culture, International Melbourne Comedy Festival, Moomba, CBD easier to navigate, trams not lightrail, Crown Casino kicks Star City's ass and the Melbourne Cup!
Sydney bleats on about being the financial capital of Australia, then why do 7 out of the top 10 Aussie companies have their headquarters in Melbourne.... BHP, Telstra, ANZ Coles Myer, NAB and FOSTERS.
Things To Do in Sydney
Melbourne -v- Sydney Debate
The only thing Melburnians love more than 'living' in the world's most liveable city is... telling someone from Sydney!
Sometime ago we had our own Melbourne versus Sydney debate going, that started out as a simple question to know what was the tallest building in Melbourne, and somehow it turned into a Melbourne -v- Sydney tit-for-tat (thanks Patty) that went for about 2 years.
We closed the debate because it got out of hand, largely through silly posts which we hope does not happen to FACEBOOK!
Melbourne is better than Sydney
That about sums it up.
- Better and cheaper food
- Nicer people. Sydney people can be rude!
- Has an arts and entertainment culture (Sydney doesn't!!!)
- We host the International Melbourne Comedy Festival, Grand Prix, Moomba and various other festivals
- Our CBD is easier to navigate
- We have trams and not lightrail
- We have Australia's SECOND best university - the University of Melbourne, ranked 22 in the world! (NOW BEFORE ANYONE DISPUTES THIS, PLEASE REFER http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Melbourne) Link below.
- People come down to Melbourne to shop
- We hosted the World Swimming Championships
- AFL comes from Melbourne - much better than that NRL crap
- Our Lord Mayor is John So. Everyone knows that he rocks!
- Sydney is the most polluted capital city in Australia! (Source: "What's good for you")
- Own experience with people with anger management problems coming from Sydney
- Melbourne has better drivers - Sydney drivers have anger management issues (generally, Sydney people are just angry, see above - people who SLAM audit files in rooms and books on desks in an office environment, isn't that right?)
- Traffic is better in Melbourne
- Melbourne has more markets for getting fresh fruit, produce and other cool stuff. There's Queen Victoria, Preston, Prahran, South Melbourne and many more!
- Melbourne is grid layout, north east south west. Sydney is a nauseating rollercoaster.
- Fashionable, friendly. funky, fun, vibe, bars, parks, basically how ugly is George St? How beautiful is Collins St?Adds to our AWESOME nightlife
- We don't have ugly beach riots like Cronulla!
- We also have the national champion football (Melbourne Victory) club... and the countries greatest high school, aptly named, Melbourne High School (also not forgetting MacRob for the girls)
- Better architecture rather than relying on the Harbour and Opera House for everything!
- We have the biggest shopping complex in the southern hemisphere - Chaddy!
- Crown Casino kicks Star City's ass!
- Cheaper booze
- We have the Eureka Tower - tallest residential building in the world!
- Oscar winner Cate Blanchett comes from Melbourne! (and MLC)
- Public transport is so much damn cheaper!
- We have the Aus Open and Kooyong Classic, which kicks Adidas international tournament's ass :P
- Worst coffee ever in Sydney
- Melbourne doesn't have a stupid monorail!
- More expensive accommodation in Sydney and property in general
- Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival time, not to mention the Melbourne Cup!
- MCG is a much better stadium than SCG
- Well endowed men - note I am ONLY putting up your suggestions so feel free to argue this one with me
- Really great bars
- Monopoly Board which features Melbourne
- Melbourne also has the tallest office building in australia - depending on who you believe - either 120 Collins, Rialto or 101 Collins - they are all taller than any buildings in Sydney
- 7 out of the top 10 Aussie companies have their HQ in Melbourne....BHP, Telstra, ANZ Coles Myer, NAB, FOSTERS
- Melbourne had the first ever cricket test match
- Bigger agricultural show
- The Melbourne Cup and really awesome Spring Carnival
- Bigger Fashion Festivals (Melbourne International)
- Melbourne hosted the first sitting of parliament, before Canberra was established
- Melbourne also has the best fire-twirlers in Aust
melbourne is the sporting capital, all the best sporting people from around the world come to our city
- We were the capital city of Australia before Canberra... They've never been and never will be!
- We hosted the Olympic Games first... They can never take that away from us hahaha
UPDATED AND LATEST
- People go to Sydney to visit, but to Melbourne to Live
- Sydney was designed by criminals, Melbourne by Engineers and Architects
- Melbourne, along with Vancouver, the world's most livable city.
- We have distinctive seasons in Melbourne and get to wear layers.
- Melbourne didn't produce Lara Bingle - so where the bloody hell is she now?
- Tollgates on freeways
OTHER FACEBOOK GROUPS
Sydney Is better than Melbourne (7,274 members) LOL, we're wetting ourselves!
Sydney is better than Melbourne after a while
AFL; the Anti Football League
AFL is better than Rugby League
Brisbane is better than Melbourne
Brisvegas is better than Melbourne (where is Brisvegas?)
Melbourne People Living in Perth
Canberra is better than Melbourne and Sydney put together (nice reefer!)
MELBOURNE IS BETTER THEN SYDNEY (another group)
Melbourne is better than Monash
Melbourne Jews Dress Better
Melbourne kicks Londons ass
If you are a FACEBOOK member and logged in, you will be able to access and join the group at the link below:
2012 AFL & NRL Grand Finals
Outcome: One All | Sydney won the AFL & Melbourne won the NRL
The Melbourne versus Sydney rivalry is set to hit fever-pitch this coming weekend with the two major sporting codes featuring teams from both Melbourne and Sydney.
Sydney, Melbourne rivalry hits fever pitch
Sydney or Melbourne, Melbourne or Sydney? Usually that debate centres on which city is better. But this week it's about your choice of football teams, and this time, it doesn't matter what your favourite code is.
Both cities will be represented in the NRL and AFL grand finals. Melbourne Storm plays Canterbury in the rugby league, while the Swans battle Hawthorn in the AFL decider.
But just because you live in Sydney, it doesn't mean you want the Swans to win, and it's a similar story with the Storm in Melbourne.
Source: EMMA PARTRIDGE & MICHAEL COWLEY | theage.com.au
If you want to read a real shocker, then check out Things that say 'Melbourne' (link below) by Catherine Deveny. Published in The Age, it is clear to this Melburnian, Catherine has absolutely no idea what Melburnians think about Melbourne.
She clearly has a love hate relationship with Melbourne, erring on the hate side. Maybe she is trying to be the shock jock of writers, but as your mother would say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Melbourne -v- Sydney
→ FACEBOOK - Melbourne is better than Sydney
→ FACEBOOK - MELBOURNE IS BETTER THEN SYDNEY
→ Things that say 'Melbourne' (even more than a big M)
Update Page Request