Computing in Melbourne: A Historical TourMelbourne has several remarkable links to the earliest days of computers.
Here we describe a tour that takes in many of these places, and can be done by a combination of walking and tram travel. The tour is a chance to explore another dimension of Melbourne's history and to better understand how computers have changed science, business and society.
1. Monash Museum of Computing History
2. Site of Albert Park Barracks and DSD
3. Melbourne's Silicon Mile: St Kilda Road and Fitzroy Street
5. Melbourne Observatory: Melbourne's first computer room
6. Victoria Barracks: Australia's first supercomputer
7. St Paul's Cathedral: the Babbage connection
8. National Mutual: Smalltalk-80's Australian debut
9. Site of Australia's first telegraph
10. Lonsdale Exchange
11. State Library of Victoria: Vicnet and Pictoria
12. ICI House
13. Melbourne Museum: CSIRAC
14. Site Australia's first internet connection
15. Physics Museum, University of Melbourne
16. Old Physics, University of Melbourne: CSIRAC's first Victorian home
From time to time we organise group tours to visit most of the places described. The tours are free (apart from the cost of tram travel and whatever you may buy at cafes on the way), but bookings are essential as capacity is limited. If you would like to join a future organised tour, please register your interest.
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Book Online Here
→ Computing in Melbourne: A Historical Tour
❊ COVID-19 Notice ❊Many locations have gone into lockdown as the state takes action to stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19).
→ Disclaimer: Check with the operator before making plans...
Drive-In Movie Club
Drive-In Immersive Cinema Nights Are Coming to Melbourne Put together by our friends at Hot Tub Cinema, a string of family-friendly, social distancing-safe, drive-in ..
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Make the most of your weekend in Melbourne with these fabulous events. No city does it better than Melbourne, so get out and discover the very best shows, festivals, ..