Central Hall | Cathedral HallCentral Hall, 20 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy
Central Hall (also known by its former name, Cathedral Hall) stands at the end of Brunswick Street in Fitzroy.
Cathedral Hall consists of meeting rooms and offices at the front of the site and a large hall to the rear with a supper room opening off it. The building was used as a meeting place for the Catholic Church in Melbourne from 1903.
The building fronting Brunswick Street was constructed in 1873 as the Exhibition Boot Factory and refurbished as clubrooms and classrooms in 1902-03 by the Church. The main hall behind the factory was erected in 1903-04 and the whole became the main venue for activities associated with St Patrick?s Cathedral and the Church generally, commencing with the hosting of the Second Australasian Catholic Congress in 1904 and later the National Eucharistic Congress in 1934. The supper room fronting Graham Street was added in 1908 and the whole building was decorated in 1912-13 and refurbished for the National Eucharistic Congress in 1934 when the light fittings were designed and installed. In the 1960s the hall became known as Central Hall.
❊ Address & Contact ❊
⊜ 20 Brunswick St Fitzroy | Map
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Central Hall | Cathedral Hall
Things to see, hear & do this weekend
Weekends are precious. Two days to do what we please. All day Saturday and Sunday to chill, fill and party to our hearts content. No city does it better than ..
Mad March Melbourne 2019
If there was any dispute as to Australia's leading events city, one only has to look at Melbourne in March to see how many first-class, world events are on. Melbourne ..
→ Page Editor