The Altona Homestead was the first Homestead in this area.
Construction of the building commenced in 1842 on an area of land now known as the R.J. Logan Reserve.
Then owned by Alfred and Sarah Langhorne, the first settlers of Altona.
Alfred Langhorne arrived in Port Phillip Bay , Australia on 14th July 1837.
The Langhorne property first appeared on a Robert Hoddle map of 1832 just after the first timber Homestead was built.
In 1851 this homestead was built using bluestone for the walls after bush fires went through the area.
In 1842 the Homestead was used for private housing until 1919.
In 1919 the property was acquired by Cuming Smith [Commonwealth Fertilisers] and renamed the property Sicklehome, because the company brand was a reaper's sickle and used the grounds for workers holiday housing.
In 1957 until 1968 the Homestead became The Civic Offices with council meetings held in the dining room.
Restoration works commenced in September 1988. It was through the careful planning and funding of the Altona City Council that the Hobsons Bay Council has been able to preserve the building for the people of Altona.
Altona Homestead originally called LANGHORNE'S LAVERTON HOMESTEAD RUN, was the first Homestead Run built on the foreshore of Port Phillip in the 1840s.
The Altona Homestead contains a collection of objects from earlier Victorian and Ewardian periods along with photographs of the area.
❊ What's On ❊
❊ Address & Contact ❊
⊜ 128 Queen Street Altona | Map
✆ Peter Weaver (president) 0447 840 895
❊ Web Links ❊
→ Altona Homestead
Update Page Request