Flagstaff Gardens forms one of Melbourne's most historic sites dating back to the early settlement of Melbourne.
Features include lawns and trees with two significant avenues of trees and two remnant boundary rows of trees. They contain floral and shrub beds, tennis/sports courts, a lawn bowling facility, a caretaker's cottage (currently unoccupied), children's playground, a Pioneer Memorial, the Separation Monument, one installation of "Another View", a sundial and a bronze statue, a depot building and toilet block and an old stage.
The 7.2 hectares of the Flagstaff Gardens is Crown Land vested jointly in the City of Melbourne and the Minister for Environmental Conservation, and is permanently reserved as a public park.
They may only be used as a public garden (and related offices and conveniences). A small portion of the Flagstaff Gardens that was required for the underground rail loop is vested in the Public Transport Corporation.
Melbourne City Council was appointed Committee of Management for the Flagstaff Gardens on 9 October 1917.
The Flagstaff Gardens receive an average of 4,300 to 4,700 visits each day. While actual numbers vary according to the season with higher usage over the warmer months, most visits occur on weekdays, with an average of 5,300 visits compared with 2,600 visits on each weekend day. Per square metre, it is the most highly used garden in Melbourne.
Address: Corner La Trobe and King Streets Melbourne 3001
|Enjoy marvellous Melbourne @ www.onlymelbourne.com.au