Country Towns | Victoria
Victorian country towns..
Asked recently, where do Melbourne suburbs finish and country towns begin? Good question.. we went with a 25klm radius. Anything within 25k is a suburb.
Asked recently, where do Melbourne suburbs finish and country towns begin? Good question.. we went with a 25klm radius. Anything within 25k is a suburb.
Baddaginnie, a rural locality with a small village, is on the Melbourne-Albury railway line and the old Hume Highway. It is 12 km. south-west of Benalla, situated in mainly flat unforested country, on ..
Badger Creek 3777
⊜ Badger Creek
Badger Creek, a rural and urban settlement, is 53 km. north-east of Melbourne and 6 km. south of Healesville. It adjoins the Healesville Sanctuary and the former Coranderrk Aboriginal Station, now the ..
Bairnsdale is a large provincial town situated on the Mitchell River in Gippsland, 285 kilometres east of Melbourne. The Bairnsdale run, on the west bank of the river, was occupied by Archibald McLeod ..
Balmattum is a pastoral district north-east of Melbourne between Euroa and Violet Town. It was named after Balmattum Hill, a small range immediately south-west of Euroa. If the range is viewed from ..
Bandiana, consisting mainly of a military establishment, is immediately south-east of Wodonga in north-eastern Victoria. Early authorities state that the name arose from an Aboriginal woman with ba ..
Barmah is a rural village and district on the Murray River in northern Victoria, 23 km. north-east of Echuca and 23 km. west of Nathalia. The journey from Nathalia is more direct than the one from Ech ..
Barnawartha is a rural township on the Melbourne to Sydney road (Hume Highway) where it is crossed by the Indigo Creek. It is 20 km. west of Wodonga in north-eastern Victoria. In 1837 a pastoral ru ..
Bellarine is a rural locality on the northern side of the Bellarine Peninsula, between Clifton Springs and Portarlington. During the nineteenth century Bellarine was more extensive than today, prob ..
Bena is situated near Korumburra in the South Gippsland hills, 105 kilometres from Melbourne. Land had been selected in the area in the 1870s and settlers had begun clearing the forest. After the Grea ..
Benalla is a regional city on the Melbourne to Sydney Highway, 180 km. north-north-east of Melbourne. Since the completion of the Hume Freeway, Benalla can be bypassed by motorists. It is between Euro ..
Benambra, on the plains about 24 kilometres north of Omeo in East Gippsland, is predominantly a grazing district. The land was first taken up in the mid 1830s by squatters from the Monaro searching fo ..
Bendoc is 110 kilometres northwest of Orbost, on the edge of the Monaro tablelands close to the New South Wales border. The town was first known as Wagra Bendoc, an Aboriginal word meaning plain of cr ..
The Boho district is in a farming and forest area south of Violet Town and about 130 km. north-north-east of Melbourne. Boho is on the north side of a State Forest range and is 8 km. from Violet To ..
Boisdale is situated on the Avon River ten kilometres north of Maffra and about 212 kilometres east of Melbourne. The Boisdale run, taken up for Lachlan Macalister in 1842, stretched from the Avon Riv ..
Bonegilla is a rural locality on the western shore of Lake Hume in north-eastern Victoria. The nearest large township is Wodonga, twelve kilometres to the west. Much of the Parish of Bonegilla lies be ..
Bonnie Doon 3720
⊜ Bonnie Doon
Bonnie Doon is a rural township on Brankeet Inlet at the north end of Lake Eildon. It is about 115 km. north-east of Melbourne. Originally called Doon, the township was on the Brankeet Creek. The ..
Boolarra lies in the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, twenty kilometres south of Morwell in the Latrobe Valley. The area was first visited by Europeans in 1840 when the explorer Strzelecki passed n ..
Boorhamen is a rural village near the Ovens river, 15 km. north of Wangaratta in north-eastern Victoria. The Boorhamen pastoral station was recorded in 1865 as a subdivision of the earlier Botheram ..
The township of Briagolong is 14 kilometres north of Stratford in Gippsland and about 270 kilometres east of Melbourne. It is situated on flat open red gum plain, close to Freestone Creek with the Gre ..
The attractive holiday township of Bright is situated on the scenic Great Alpine Road between Porepunkah and Harrietville in the beautiful Ovens Valley. Bright is a popular tourist centre due to it ..
Bruthen is situated on the Tambo River, 24 kilometres north-east of Bairnsdale and 300 kilometres east of Melbourne. Bruthen, or Brewathan as the area was first called, is thought to be a word of Abor ..
Buchan is located twenty-six kilometres north of Nowa Nowa on the Princes Highway and 330 kilometres east of Melbourne. The township lies in the valley of the Buchan River hedged by rounded limestone ..
Bullumwaal, sometimes spelt Bulumwaal, is located along Boggy Creek, twenty nine kilometres north of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland. Gold was found in Boggy Creek in 1857. There were soon 1,000 people l ..
Buln Buln Shire 3821
⊜ Buln Buln
Buln Buln Shire was proclaimed in 1878. Its original size was considerably reduced by the creation of Warragul Shire in 1881 in the east and the creation of Korumburra Shire in 1891 in the south. In 1 ..
Bundalong is a rural locality on the Murray River in north-eastern Victoria, 15 km. east of Yarrawonga. It overlooks the river where it is joined by the Ovens River and widens to the east end of Lake ..
Bunyip is located on the Gippsland railway line, 77 kilometres east of Melbourne. The rich farmland of the former Kooweerup Swamp stretches to the south. The name Bunyip, or Buneep, originates from a ..
Burramine, 14 km. east of Yarrawonga in north-eastern Victoria, is on the site of one of the State's oldest pastoral homesteads. In 1842 Elizabeth Hume, the widowed sister-in-law of Hamilton Hume, too ..
Cann River 3890
⊜ Cann River
The township of Cann River is situated at the junction of the Princes Highway and Cann Valley Highway, 455 kilometres east of Melbourne. The town is named after the Cann River which flows south from t ..
Cape Paterson 3995
⊜ Cape Paterson
The seaside resort of Cape Paterson is 131 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. The cape was named by Lieut. James Grant while exploring the coast in 1801, honouring Lieut. Col. William Paterson of the ..
Cassilis is a former mining settlement, 114 kilometres north of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland. It lies in the narrow valley of Gray's Creek, a tributary of Swift's Creek, itself a tributary of the Tamb ..
The Castlemaine locality was originally named Forest Creek where a rich alluvial goldfield was discovered in 1851. In the following year a town was surveyed and named Castlemaine after the estate of V ..
Cheshunt is a rural village and district upstream along the King River in north-east Victoria. Its is 50 km. south of Wangaratta and the district extends along several tributaries of the King River. T ..
Chiltern is a township on the Hume Highway in north-eastern Victoria, 35 km. from Wangaratta and midway between there and Wodonga. It is situated on the Black Dog Creek, and began as the Black Dog ..
In 1970 a new town had been established by the Housing Commission in the Parish of Hazelwood, to supply accomodation for State Electricity Commission workers and their families. The town was planned w ..
The seaside resort of Cowes is the main settlement on Phillip Island. Phillip Island is situated at the entrance to Westernport Bay, south-east of Melbourne. The town is located on the northern coa ..
Delatite shire is north-east of Melbourne, its nearest point to Melbourne being the Eildon Weir. Its southern end is near Mount Matlock, and contains the rugged headwaters of the Goulburn River, immed ..
Devenish, a rural locality with a small township, is 27 km. north-north-west of Benalla on the route to Yarrawonga. The area was formerly known as Major Plains and St. James (both of which continue as ..
Dookie is a rural township and district 27 km. east-north-east of Shepparton in northern Victoria. The area east of Shepparton is mostly flat, irrigated farm land, but Dookie is set in undulating coun ..
Drouin is 92 kilometres south-east of Melbourne, on the rail and road routes from Melbourne to Gippsland. The town is supposedly named after a Frenchman who invented a chlorination process for the ext ..
Edi & Edi Upper 3678
Edi is on the king River, 35 km. south of Wangaratta in north-east Victoria. Edi Upper, 8 km. south-east of Edi, is on Black Range Creek which is a tributary of the King River. The name Edi came fr ..
The name Eildon is but known for its association with Victoria's largest water storage about 105 km. north-east of Melbourne. It is also the name of a town established after the enlargement of the dam ..
Eldorado is a picturesque township with a mixture of agriculture and extensive former mining works. It is on the Reedy Creek (also known as Reid's Creek, Eldorado Creek and Woolshed Creek), and has hi ..
Euroa is a substantial township and rural district on the route between Melbourne and Albury. It is 130 km. north-north-east of Melbourne. Euroa is situated on Seven Creeks, a tributary of the Goul ..
Everton, a rural township in north-east Victoria, is 22 km. east-south-east of Wangaratta and about midway between there and Beechworth. It is on the Ovens Highway, in flat to undulating country. Abou ..
Fernshaw was a rural township 63 km. north-east of Melbourne and 10 km. north-east of Healesville. Situated on the Watts river, near where a log had fallen making a convenient crossing, Fernshaw w ..
Fyansford, near the junction of the Moorabool and Barwon Rivers, is 5 km. west of Geelong. It is one of the earliest places of settlement in the Geelong region. It was named after Captain Foster Fy ..
Gaffneys Creek 3723
⊜ Gaffneys Creek
Gaffneys Creek is a mining locality 47 km. south of Mansfield on the road to Woods Point. The distance by road is much further. Gaffneys Creek is situated in mountainous country, ascending both side f ..
Geelong East 3219
⊜ Geelong East
Geelong East is a residential area with large public open spaces, adjoining the Geelong central city area. Its northern edge is the Corio Bay foreshore, and it extends southwards to Breakwater. Ge ..
Geelong South 3220
⊜ Geelong South
Geelong South is a residential area between the Geelong central city area and the Barwon River. Page moved to Geelong South ..
Geelong West 3218
⊜ Geelong West
Geelong West is a residential suburb immediately adjoining Geelong on Corio Bay, which is on the western side of Port Phillip Bay. Between 29 May, 1875, and 18 May, 1993, Geelong West was also a munic ..
Glenrowan is a rural locality and township on the route between Melbourne and Albury. It is 184 km. north-east of Melbourne and 14 km. before Wangaratta. Motorists on the old Hume Highway and train ..
Gobur, a farming locality and former township, is 97 km. north-east of Melbourne and 26 km. north of Alexandra. The name comes from Gobur Creek and the Gobur pastoral run (c.1845) occupied by Henry Go ..
Goorambat is a rural township 17 km. north of Benalla, on the route between Benalla and Yarrawonga. It is set in mainly flat country with little tree cover, two kilometres east of Broken Creek. The ..
Greta is a rural district in north-east Victoria had four village centres, all containing the name Greta at some time. The original Greta township on Fifteen Mile Creek is now Greta West, and is 22 km ..
Gruyere is a rural area 43 km. east of Melbourne, extending eastwards from Coldstream to the Yarra River. The name was adopted at the suggestion of local Swiss vigneron, Paul de Castella. In commo ..
Hamilton is a major centre located in the south-west of Victoria, south of Horsham and north of the coastal towns of Portland and Port Fairy. Hamilton features attractive tree-lined streets and a c ..
Healesville is a township 52 km. east-north-east of Melbourne, just south of the Watts River which is a tributary of the Yarra River. Upstream from where Healesville is situated gold was found at New ..
Indigo is a shire in north-eastern Victoria formed on 18 November, 1994, by the union of Rutherglen shire and most of Beechworth, Chiltern and Yackandandah shires. Its administrative centre is at Beec ..
Jamieson, a rural township and agricultural district is at the junction of the Goulburn and Jamieson Rivers, in country with river flats. It is 30 km. from Mansfield and 120 km. north-east of Melbourn ..
Jan Juc 3228
⊜ Jan Juc
Jan Juc is a coastal township on Bass Strait, immediately west of Torquay and 21 km. south of Geelong. It is on the Jan Juc Creek, which enters Bass Strait one kilometre west of Spring Creek. Sprin ..
Katamatite, a rural township in northern Victoria, is in the Murray Valley irrigation area and is 42 km. north-east of Shepparton. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word naming or d ..
Katandra West 3634
Katandra West is a rural township in northern Victoria between Shepparton and Tungamah. It is situated in flat farmland which is irrigated by the East Goulburn Main Channel. Katandra was named afte ..
Katunga is a rural village in the Murray Valley irrigation area in northern Victoria. It is 10 km. north of Numurkah. Katunga was originally the name of a district parish, and was given by a govern ..
Kialla & Kialla West 3631
The Kialla district is in the Goulburn Valley irrigation area, 10 km. south of Shepparton in northern Victoria. It is thought that the name was derived from that of an Aboriginal sub-tribal group. The ..
Kurunjang is a residential area 35 km. west-north-west of Melbourne, immediately north of Melton. Small areas of housing were laid out in the early 1980s. The Mowbray Non-denominational College ope ..
Kyabram is a provincial township in northern Victoria, situated in the west Goulburn Valley irrigation area. It is 35 km. west of Shepparton. During the 1870s when pastoral runs were subdivided for ..
Lara and Lara Lake comprise a residential town set in rural surrounds between Melbourne and Geelong, north of Geelong across Corio Bay. The are situated on Hovells Creek, which drains into Limeburners ..
Lemnos, is a rural locality and small town in northern Victoria, 8 km. north-east of Shepparton. It is in the irrigated orchard/dairying country of the Goulburn Valley. Lemnos was named after the i ..
Leopold, a residential and rural district on the Bellarine Peninsula, is 10 km. east-south-east of Geelong. Originally name Kensington, it was renamed Leopold in 1892 after Queen Victoria's son, the D ..
Lima is a rural district comprising the physical features of Lima Creek, Lima Valley and the smaller localities of Lima East and Lima South. The area is generally 25 km south of Benalla, set in un ..
Little River 3211
⊜ Little River
Little River is a rural township 44 km. west-south-west of Melbourne, on the train route to Geelong. Page moved to Little River Little River is also known for.. Little River Band Mad Max ..
Macclesfield is a hilly rural district 47 km. east of Melbourne, immediately north of Emerald. The area was first penetrated by miners who found gold in the Macclesfield Creek in 1865. The name is ..
Marysville is a scenic township in the Great Dividing Range 75 km. north-east of Melbourne. The town was surveyed in 1864, by when a store and a butcher's shop existed to supply miners on the Yarr ..
Matlock, situated on the Great Dividing Range, 110 km. east-north-east of Melbourne, was the site of a goldfield and of a supply town for other gold fields in the nineteenth century. It was the highes ..
Mernda, on the edge of metropolitan Melbourne, is 26 km. to its north. Originally known as Morang until 1893, then South Yan Yean, the name Mernda was given in 1913 to distinguish the locality from th ..
Merriang is a rural district 28 km. north of Melbourne, about midway between Whittlesea and the Hume Highway. Its name is thought to be Aboriginal for a stone chopper. The area was first occupied f ..
Miepoll is a farming district north of Euroa and mid-way between Murchison and Violet Town. It is set in flat country and is 140 km. north-north-east of Melbourne. The origin of the name is obscure. I ..
Milawa is a rural township 15 km. south-east of Wangaratta in north-east Victoria. It is situated on the Oxley Plains, between the King and Ovens Rivers. Soon after gold was discovered at Beechwort ..
Molesworth is a small town and pastoral district 85 km. north-east of Melbourne and 13 km. east of Yea on the Goulburn Valley Highway. It was named at the same time as Yea (1855) by a Government su ..
Moyhu is an agricultural township near the King River in north-east Victoria. It is 27 km. south of Wangaratta, and 180 km. from Melbourne. Moyhu is positioned where several creeks enter the King R ..
Stay in TOUCH
A free weekly wrap of what's on | More..