Latest In: Country Towns | VictoriaLatest listings | Newest at the top
The seaside resort of Cowes is the main settlement on Phillip Island. Phillip Island is situated at the entrance to Westernport Bay, south-east of Melbourne. The town is located on the northern coa ..
Bunyip is located on the Gippsland railway line, 77 kilometres east of Melbourne. The rich farmland of the former Kooweerup Swamp stretches to the south. The name Bunyip, or Buneep, originates from a ..
Bandiana, consisting mainly of a military establishment, is immediately south-east of Wodonga in north-eastern Victoria. Early authorities state that the name arose from an Aboriginal woman with ba ..
Healesville is a township 52 km. east-north-east of Melbourne, just south of the Watts River which is a tributary of the Yarra River. Upstream from where Healesville is situated gold was found at New ..
Cassilis is a former mining settlement, 114 kilometres north of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland. It lies in the narrow valley of Gray's Creek, a tributary of Swift's Creek, itself a tributary of the Tamb ..
Greta is a rural district in north-east Victoria had four village centres, all containing the name Greta at some time. The original Greta township on Fifteen Mile Creek is now Greta West, and is 22 km ..
Dookie is a rural township and district 27 km. east-north-east of Shepparton in northern Victoria. The area east of Shepparton is mostly flat, irrigated farm land, but Dookie is set in undulating coun ..
Buchan is located twenty-six kilometres north of Nowa Nowa on the Princes Highway and 330 kilometres east of Melbourne. The township lies in the valley of the Buchan River hedged by rounded limestone ..
Barmah is a rural village and district on the Murray River in northern Victoria, 23 km. north-east of Echuca and 23 km. west of Nathalia. The journey from Nathalia is more direct than the one from Ech ..
Chiltern is a township on the Hume Highway in north-eastern Victoria, 35 km. from Wangaratta and midway between there and Wodonga. It is situated on the Black Dog Creek, and began as the Black Dog ..
The town of Nagambie is located in a pastoral and agricultural region between Seymour and Shepparton, on the shores of the picturesque Lake Nagambie. Nagambie is an attractive holiday spot, offerin ..
Geelong West 3218
⊜ Geelong West
Geelong West is a residential suburb immediately adjoining Geelong on Corio Bay, which is on the western side of Port Phillip Bay. Between 29 May, 1875, and 18 May, 1993, Geelong West was also a munic ..
Kialla & Kialla West 3631
The Kialla district is in the Goulburn Valley irrigation area, 10 km. south of Shepparton in northern Victoria. It is thought that the name was derived from that of an Aboriginal sub-tribal group. The ..
Bundalong is a rural locality on the Murray River in north-eastern Victoria, 15 km. east of Yarrawonga. It overlooks the river where it is joined by the Ovens River and widens to the east end of Lake ..
Edi & Edi Upper 3678
Edi is on the king River, 35 km. south of Wangaratta in north-east Victoria. Edi Upper, 8 km. south-east of Edi, is on Black Range Creek which is a tributary of the King River. The name Edi came fr ..
Benambra, on the plains about 24 kilometres north of Omeo in East Gippsland, is predominantly a grazing district. The land was first taken up in the mid 1830s by squatters from the Monaro searching fo ..
The Castlemaine locality was originally named Forest Creek where a rich alluvial goldfield was discovered in 1851. In the following year a town was surveyed and named Castlemaine after the estate of V ..
The attractive holiday township of Bright is situated on the scenic Great Alpine Road between Porepunkah and Harrietville in the beautiful Ovens Valley. Bright is a popular tourist centre due to it ..
In 1970 a new town had been established by the Housing Commission in the Parish of Hazelwood, to supply accomodation for State Electricity Commission workers and their families. The town was planned w ..
Delatite shire is north-east of Melbourne, its nearest point to Melbourne being the Eildon Weir. Its southern end is near Mount Matlock, and contains the rugged headwaters of the Goulburn River, immed ..
Balmattum is a pastoral district north-east of Melbourne between Euroa and Violet Town. It was named after Balmattum Hill, a small range immediately south-west of Euroa. If the range is viewed from ..
Drouin is 92 kilometres south-east of Melbourne, on the rail and road routes from Melbourne to Gippsland. The town is supposedly named after a Frenchman who invented a chlorination process for the ext ..
Katandra West 3634
Katandra West is a rural township in northern Victoria between Shepparton and Tungamah. It is situated in flat farmland which is irrigated by the East Goulburn Main Channel. Katandra was named afte ..
Gruyere is a rural area 43 km. east of Melbourne, extending eastwards from Coldstream to the Yarra River. The name was adopted at the suggestion of local Swiss vigneron, Paul de Castella. In commo ..
Yea is a town of about 1,000 people 77 km. north-north-east of Melbourne, centrally located in the former Yea shire (1873-1994). It dominated the shire in terms of population, as the other villages or ..
Lima is a rural district comprising the physical features of Lima Creek, Lima Valley and the smaller localities of Lima East and Lima South. The area is generally 25 km south of Benalla, set in un ..
Everton, a rural township in north-east Victoria, is 22 km. east-south-east of Wangaratta and about midway between there and Beechworth. It is on the Ovens Highway, in flat to undulating country. Abou ..
Bullumwaal, sometimes spelt Bulumwaal, is located along Boggy Creek, twenty nine kilometres north of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland. Gold was found in Boggy Creek in 1857. There were soon 1,000 people l ..
Macclesfield is a hilly rural district 47 km. east of Melbourne, immediately north of Emerald. The area was first penetrated by miners who found gold in the Macclesfield Creek in 1865. The name is ..
Badger Creek 3777
⊜ Badger Creek
Badger Creek, a rural and urban settlement, is 53 km. north-east of Melbourne and 6 km. south of Healesville. It adjoins the Healesville Sanctuary and the former Coranderrk Aboriginal Station, now the ..
Stay in TOUCH
A free weekly wrap of what's on | More..