774 ABC Melbourne invites you to put on your walking shoes, turn on your MP3 player and discover Melbourne’s secrets with the ABC Melbourne Podtours: Eat, Drink Melbourne, Death, Dirt & Disease and Showbiz, Sexy Spectacles and Sideshows.
Whether you are a visitor to the city or a born and bred local, you’ll be surprised at the stories you'll uncover in Melbourne’s hidden lanes and historical buildings.
Join Derek Guille, Jon Faine and Red Symons as they guide you through the sights, sounds and smells of Melbourne town with the free audio tours that you can download to your MP3 player.
The tours are a co-production with the University of Melbourne's Cultural Heritage Unit.
Eat, Drink Melbourne
Presented by Derek Guille with food writer Stephanie Alexander.
Let Derek Guille take you on an exploration of Melbourne’s culinary hotspots as Eat, Drink Melbourne takes in the great eating and drinking sites of today and decades past, interspersed with cooking hints from Stephanie Alexander.
- The story of Australian food icons, like Vegemite, the Freddo Frog, and the Dim - Sim, which were all invented in Melbourne.
- The site where the Prince Alfred caused Melbourne’s biggest food-fight involving 100,000 Melburnians.
- Rollicking yarns about Melbourne's famous pubs and vineyards.
- Stephanie Alexander’s advice on how to select a good cheese or cut of meat.
Route: Starting at Federation Square this podtour winds through the lanes and arcades of the inner city to Chinatown and the Greek precinct to finish up at that foodies haven, the Queen Victoria Market.
Death, Dirt & Disease
Presented by Jon Faine.
Join Jon Faine on an exploration of the macabre side of Melbourne. There are dead bodies being pulled out of the Yarra, coroners counting maggots and nightmen dumping bedpans on flowerbeds. Under every glistening, stylish sophisticated city (and Melbourne's certainly one of those) there lies a long tale of grime and crime. This tour about what's waiting for you if it all goes wrong.
- The story of the Gun Alley murder.
- Early sewers and waste disposal in a burgeoning city.
- The decapitated head on display outside the city morgue.
- The unique way that coroners determine the time and cause of death
Route: Starting at Federation Square, through the hidden laneways up to Russell Street, past the old police station and along Lygon Street to conclude at the Exhibition Buildings in the Carlton Gardens.
Showbiz, Sexy Spectacles and Sideshows
Presented by Red Symons and Myf Warhurst from triple j.
From a death-defying dip in the Yarra to the decadent brothels of the late 1800s, Red Symons takes you on a tour of some of the strangest spectacles and sauciest celebrity stories that Melbourne has seen on the Showbiz, Sexy Spectacles & Sideshows podtour of the city.
- Houdini’s dive into the Yarra chained and padlocked
- Where Kung Fu master Jackie Chan threw a bad guy through a shop window
- The lanes that served for purgatory for Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider
- The 1920s race to build the first and most exotic picture palace
Route: From Federation Square take a short stroll across to the Arts Centre before paying a visit to the Regent Theatre, up Exhibition Street to the ‘Little Lon’ red-light district and on to the reputedly haunted Princess Theatre.
Podtouring in 3 Easy Steps
- 1 - Download the tour and map of your choice. [see links below]
- 2 - Load the tour onto your MP3 player and print your map.
- 3 - Pop on your headphones and hit the street with your tour guide.