Baddaginnie, a rural locality with a small village, is on the Melbourne-Albury railway line and the old Hume Highway. It is 12 km. south-west of Benalla, situated in mainly flat unforested country, one kilometre west of the Baddaginnie Creek.
The site for Baddaginnie was surve Read more..
View Profile | Baddaginnie Badger Creek 3777
Badger Creek, a rural and urban settlement, is 53 km. north-east of Melbourne and 6 km. south of Healesville. It adjoins the Healesville Sanctuary and the former Coranderrk Aboriginal Station, now the Coranderrk Bushland.
Badger Creek was surveyed as a village settlement in 18 Read more..
View Profile | Badger Creek Bairnsdale 3875
Bairnsdale is a large provincial town situated on the Mitchell River in Gippsland, 285 kilometres east of Melbourne. The Bairnsdale run, on the west bank of the river, was occupied by Archibald McLeod from 1844. It was named after his birthplace, Bernisdale in Scotland. On the ea Read more..
View Profile | Bairnsdale Balmattum 3666
Balmattum is a pastoral district north-east of Melbourne between Euroa and Violet Town. It was named after Balmattum Hill, a small range immediately south-west of Euroa.
If the range is viewed from Faithfulls Creek, on which Balmattum is situated, it resembles a man lying on h Read more..
View Profile | Balmattum Bandiana 3691
Bandiana, consisting mainly of a military establishment, is immediately south-east of Wodonga in north-eastern Victoria.
Early authorities state that the name arose from an Aboriginal woman with bandy legs, but that view is most likely fanciful. A later authority states that t Read more..
View Profile | Bandiana Barmah 3639
Barmah is a rural village and district on the Murray River in northern Victoria, 23 km. north-east of Echuca and 23 km. west of Nathalia. The journey from Nathalia is more direct than the one from Echuca. It is renowned for the Barmah State Forest, which has one section adjoining Read more..
View Profile | Barmah Barnawartha 3688
Barnawartha is a rural township on the Melbourne to Sydney road (Hume Highway) where it is crossed by the Indigo Creek. It is 20 km. west of Wodonga in north-eastern Victoria.
In 1837 a pastoral run along much of the Indigo Creek was taken up and given a name similar to Barnaw Read more..
View Profile | Barnawartha Bellarine 3221
Bellarine is a rural locality on the northern side of the Bellarine Peninsula, between Clifton Springs and Portarlington.
During the nineteenth century Bellarine was more extensive than today, probably including today's Drysdale. During the 1860s it had an estimated population Read more..
View Profile | Bellarine Bena 3946
Bena is situated near Korumburra in the South Gippsland hills, 105 kilometres from Melbourne. Land had been selected in the area in the 1870s and settlers had begun clearing the forest. After the Great Southern Railway was surveyed in 1888, a father and son, Robert Fuller and Rob Read more..
View Profile | Bena Benalla 3671
Benalla is a regional city on the Melbourne to Sydney Highway, 180 km. north-north-east of Melbourne. Since the completion of the Hume Freeway, Benalla can be bypassed by motorists. It is between Euroa and Wangaratta.
Benalla is on the Broken River, which rises to the south-ea Read more..
View Profile | Benalla Benambra 3900
Benambra, on the plains about 24 kilometres north of Omeo in East Gippsland, is predominantly a grazing district. The land was first taken up in the mid 1830s by squatters from the Monaro searching for new pastures. In the 1850s, gold was discovered on the Livingstone Creek to th Read more..
View Profile | Benambra Bendoc 3888
Bendoc is 110 kilometres northwest of Orbost, on the edge of the Monaro tablelands close to the New South Wales border. The town was first known as Wagra Bendoc, an Aboriginal word meaning plain of crows.
From 1845 the area was part of pastoral leases. In the 1850s alluvial go Read more..
View Profile | Bendoc Boho 3669
The Boho district is in a farming and forest area south of Violet Town and about 130 km. north-north-east of Melbourne.
Boho is on the north side of a State Forest range and is 8 km. from Violet Town. On the other side of the range and 12 km. from Boho is Boho South. The name Read more..
View Profile | Boho Boisdale 3860
Boisdale is situated on the Avon River ten kilometres north of Maffra and about 212 kilometres east of Melbourne. The Boisdale run, taken up for Lachlan Macalister in 1842, stretched from the Avon River west to the Macalister River. It is thought to be named after a Scottish loca Read more..
View Profile | Boisdale Bonegilla 3691
Bonegilla is a rural locality on the western shore of Lake Hume in north-eastern Victoria. The nearest large township is Wodonga, twelve kilometres to the west. Much of the Parish of Bonegilla lies beneath the waters of Lake Hume (1936).
In 1835 Charles Ebden took up the Boneg Read more..
View Profile | Bonegilla Bonnie Doon 3720
Bonnie Doon is a rural township on Brankeet Inlet at the north end of Lake Eildon.
It is about 115 km. north-east of Melbourne. Originally called Doon, the township was on the Brankeet Creek. The name was changed to Bonnie Doon shortly before 1900, and in 1956 the town was mo Read more..
View Profile | Bonnie Doon Boolarra 3870
Boolarra lies in the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, twenty kilometres south of Morwell in the Latrobe Valley. The area was first visited by Europeans in 1840 when the explorer Strzelecki passed nearby. The terrain was so rough, the party abandoned their horses and equipment Read more..
View Profile | Boolarra Boorhamen 3678
Boorhamen is a rural village near the Ovens river, 15 km. north of Wangaratta in north-eastern Victoria.
The Boorhamen pastoral station was recorded in 1865 as a subdivision of the earlier Botherambo pastoral run (1839). The origin and meaning of the word are uncertain.
A C Read more..
View Profile | Boorhamen Briagalong 3860
The township of Briagolong is 14 kilometres north of Stratford in Gippsland and about 270 kilometres east of Melbourne. It is situated on flat open red gum plain, close to Freestone Creek with the Great Dividing Range ever present to the north.
The district was part of Angus M Read more..
View Profile | Briagalong Bright 3741
The attractive holiday township of Bright is situated on the scenic Great Alpine Road between Porepunkah and Harrietville in the beautiful Ovens Valley.
Bright is a popular tourist centre due to its close proximity to the mountain and ski resorts of Mount Buffalo, Mount Hotham Read more..
View Profile | Bright Bruthen 3885
Bruthen is situated on the Tambo River, 24 kilometres north-east of Bairnsdale and 300 kilometres east of Melbourne. Bruthen, or Brewathan as the area was first called, is thought to be a word of Aboriginal origin meaning bracken or place of evil spirit. In the 1840s, the first p Read more..
View Profile | Bruthen Buchan 3885
Buchan is located twenty-six kilometres north of Nowa Nowa on the Princes Highway and 330 kilometres east of Melbourne. The township lies in the valley of the Buchan River hedged by rounded limestone hills.
Pastoralists first entered the area in the late 1830s. Buchan station, Read more..
View Profile | Buchan Bullumwaal 3875
Bullumwaal, sometimes spelt Bulumwaal, is located along Boggy Creek, twenty nine kilometres north of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland. Gold was found in Boggy Creek in 1857. There were soon 1,000 people living there but the rush was shortlived. The discovery of reefs in the mid 1860s Read more..
View Profile | Bullumwaal Buln Buln Shire 3821
Buln Buln Shire was proclaimed in 1878. Its original size was considerably reduced by the creation of Warragul Shire in 1881 in the east and the creation of Korumburra Shire in 1891 in the south. In 1892 and 1893, a south-western portion was annexed by Cranbourne Shire.
Drouin Read more..
View Profile | Buln Buln Bundalong 3730
Bundalong is a rural locality on the Murray River in north-eastern Victoria, 15 km. east of Yarrawonga. It overlooks the river where it is joined by the Ovens River and widens to the east end of Lake Mulwala.
"Bundalong" is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning Read more..
View Profile | Bundalong Bunyip 3815
Bunyip is located on the Gippsland railway line, 77 kilometres east of Melbourne. The rich farmland of the former Kooweerup Swamp stretches to the south. The name Bunyip, or Buneep, originates from a creature of Aboriginal myths supposed to inhabit the swampland. The name was use Read more..
View Profile | Bunyip Burramine 3730
Burramine, 14 km. east of Yarrawonga in north-eastern Victoria, is on the site of one of the State's oldest pastoral homesteads. In 1842 Elizabeth Hume, the widowed sister-in-law of Hamilton Hume, took up the Yarroweyah, or Yarrawonga, pastoral run. Her homestead, built of hand-m Read more..
View Profile | Burramine Cann River 3890
The township of Cann River is situated at the junction of the Princes Highway and Cann Valley Highway, 455 kilometres east of Melbourne. The town is named after the Cann River which flows south from the Victorian-New South Wales border, reaching the sea through Tamboon Inlet. The Read more..
View Profile | Cann River Cape Paterson 3995
The seaside resort of Cape Paterson is 131 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. The cape was named by Lieut. James Grant while exploring the coast in 1801, honouring Lieut. Col. William Paterson of the New South Wales Corps.
Black coal was discovered in an outcrop near Cape Pat Read more..
View Profile | Cape Paterson Cassilis 3898
Cassilis is a former mining settlement, 114 kilometres north of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland. It lies in the narrow valley of Gray's Creek, a tributary of Swift's Creek, itself a tributary of the Tambo River.
Alluvial gold was discovered in a number of creeks in the area durin Read more..
View Profile | Cassilis Castlemaine 3450
The Castlemaine locality was originally named Forest Creek where a rich alluvial goldfield was discovered in 1851. In the following year a town was surveyed and named Castlemaine after the estate of Viscount Castlemaine in Ireland. The suggested name is variously recorded as comi Read more..
View Profile | Castlemaine Cheshunt 3678
Cheshunt is a rural village and district upstream along the King River in north-east Victoria. Its is 50 km. south of Wangaratta and the district extends along several tributaries of the King River. There is State Forest west of Cheshunt, the Black Range to the east and the Wabon Read more..
View Profile | Cheshunt Chiltern 3683
Chiltern is a township on the Hume Highway in north-eastern Victoria, 35 km. from Wangaratta and midway between there and Wodonga.
It is situated on the Black Dog Creek, and began as the Black Dog township. In 1845 a Black Dog Inn was opened near where the creek crossed the Me Read more..
View Profile | Chiltern Churchill 3842
In 1970 a new town had been established by the Housing Commission in the Parish of Hazelwood, to supply accomodation for State Electricity Commission workers and their families. The town was planned with the Morwell shire, with provision for shopping and civic amenities. An optim Read more..
View Profile | Churchill Cowes 3922
The seaside resort of Cowes is the main settlement on Phillip Island. Phillip Island is situated at the entrance to Westernport Bay, south-east of Melbourne.
The town is located on the northern coast of the island, at a locality previously known as Mussel Rocks. The island had Read more..
View Profile | Cowes Delatite 3723
Delatite shire is north-east of Melbourne, its nearest point to Melbourne being the Eildon Weir. Its southern end is near Mount Matlock, and contains the rugged headwaters of the Goulburn River, immediately north of the Great Dividing Range. The shire's northern end is beyond Ben Read more..
View Profile | Delatite Devenish 3726
Devenish, a rural locality with a small township, is 27 km. north-north-west of Benalla on the route to Yarrawonga. The area was formerly known as Major Plains and St. James (both of which continue as localities), but an early settler bestowed the name Devenish, probably after an Read more..
View Profile | Devenish Dookie 3646
Dookie is a rural township and district 27 km. east-north-east of Shepparton in northern Victoria. The area east of Shepparton is mostly flat, irrigated farm land, but Dookie is set in undulating country with Mount Major to the south of Dookie township. The Dookie Horticultural c Read more..
View Profile | Dookie Drouin 3818
Drouin is 92 kilometres south-east of Melbourne, on the rail and road routes from Melbourne to Gippsland. The town is supposedly named after a Frenchman who invented a chlorination process for the extraction of gold.
Settlement in this part of Gippsland was retarded by the den Read more..
View Profile | Drouin Edi & Edi Upper 3678
Edi is on the king River, 35 km. south of Wangaratta in north-east Victoria. Edi Upper, 8 km. south-east of Edi, is on Black Range Creek which is a tributary of the King River.
The name Edi came from a pastoral station taken up by George Faithfull in 1849. It was also known as Read more..
View Profile | Edi Eildon 3713
The name Eildon is but known for its association with Victoria's largest water storage about 105 km. north-east of Melbourne. It is also the name of a town established after the enlargement of the dam (1948-56), and is located about 2 km. west of the wall of the Eildon Reservoir. Read more..
View Profile | Eildon Eldorado 3746
Eldorado is a picturesque township with a mixture of agriculture and extensive former mining works. It is on the Reedy Creek (also known as Reid's Creek, Eldorado Creek and Woolshed Creek), and has hilly, forested country to its immediate north and east. It is 20 km. east of Wang Read more..
View Profile | Eldorado Euroa 3666
Euroa is a substantial township and rural district on the route between Melbourne and Albury. It is 130 km. north-north-east of Melbourne.
Euroa is situated on Seven Creeks, a tributary of the Goulburn River. Seven Creeks has its headwaters in the Strathbogie Ranges south-east Read more..
View Profile | Euroa Everton 3678
Everton, a rural township in north-east Victoria, is 22 km. east-south-east of Wangaratta and about midway between there and Beechworth. It is on the Ovens Highway, in flat to undulating country. About two kilometres westwards are the Ovens River flats, on which there is consider Read more..
View Profile | Everton Fernshaw 3778
Fernshaw was a rural township 63 km. north-east of Melbourne and 10 km. north-east of Healesville.
Situated on the Watts river, near where a log had fallen making a convenient crossing, Fernshaw was settled in the 1860s. It provided good country for orchards and berry growing Read more..
View Profile | Fernshaw Fyansford 3221
Fyansford, near the junction of the Moorabool and Barwon Rivers, is 5 km. west of Geelong.
It is one of the earliest places of settlement in the Geelong region. It was named after Captain Foster Fyans who came to Geelong as Police magistrate in October, 1837, and established h Read more..
View Profile | Fyansford Gaffneys Creek 3723
Gaffneys Creek is a mining locality 47 km. south of Mansfield on the road to Woods Point. The distance by road is much further. Gaffneys Creek is situated in mountainous country, ascending both side from the creek valley. It is at the junction of Gaffneys and Raspberry Creeks.
View Profile | Gaffneys Creek Geelong East 3219
Geelong East is a residential area with large public open spaces, adjoining the Geelong central city area. Its northern edge is the Corio Bay foreshore, and it extends southwards to Breakwater.
Geelong East 3219 Read more..
View Profile | Geelong East Geelong North 3215
Geelong North is a residential and industrial suburb on the west side of Corio Bay. It is separated from Geelong by Geelong West. Its northern boundary, Cowies Creek, separates it from Norlane, where the Ford Motor Plant is situated.
Page moved to Geelong North 3215 Read more..
View Profile | Geelong North Geelong South 3220
Geelong South is a residential area between the Geelong central city area and the Barwon River.
Page moved to Geelong South
View Profile | Geelong South Geelong West 3218
Geelong West is a residential suburb immediately adjoining Geelong on Corio Bay, which is on the western side of Port Phillip Bay. Between 29 May, 1875, and 18 May, 1993, Geelong West was also a municipality, which included Herne Hill and Manifold Heights.
Page moved to: Geelo Read more..
View Profile | Geelong West Glenrowan 3675
Glenrowan is a rural locality and township on the route between Melbourne and Albury. It is 184 km. north-east of Melbourne and 14 km. before Wangaratta.
Motorists on the old Hume Highway and train travellers pass through the township, but the Hume Freeway bypasses it (1988). Read more..
View Profile | Glenrowan Gobur 3719
Gobur, a farming locality and former township, is 97 km. north-east of Melbourne and 26 km. north of Alexandra. The name comes from Gobur Creek and the Gobur pastoral run (c.1845) occupied by Henry Godfrey. Gobur is possibly a corruption of an Aboriginal word for Kookaburra. Henr Read more..
View Profile | Gobur Goorambat 3725
Goorambat is a rural township 17 km. north of Benalla, on the route between Benalla and Yarrawonga. It is set in mainly flat country with little tree cover, two kilometres east of Broken Creek.
The name came from the Goorambat pastoral run, and is thought to be an Aboriginal w Read more..
View Profile | Goorambat Greta 3675
Greta is a rural district in north-east Victoria had four village centres, all containing the name Greta at some time. The original Greta township on Fifteen Mile Creek is now Greta West, and is 22 km. east of Benalla and six kilometres south of the Hume Freeway. It is in undulat Read more..
View Profile | Greta Gruyere 3770
Gruyere is a rural area 43 km. east of Melbourne, extending eastwards from Coldstream to the Yarra River. The name was adopted at the suggestion of local Swiss vigneron, Paul de Castella.
In common with the Lilydale and Coldstream district its agricultural origins were mixed Read more..
View Profile | Gruyere Hamilton 3300
Hamilton is a major centre located in the south-west of Victoria, south of Horsham and north of the coastal towns of Portland and Port Fairy.
Hamilton features attractive tree-lined streets and a commercial centre which is mainly confined to the areas around Thompson Street, G Read more..
View Profile | Hamilton Healesville 3777
Healesville is a township 52 km. east-north-east of Melbourne, just south of the Watts River which is a tributary of the Yarra River. Upstream from where Healesville is situated gold was found at New Chum Creek in about 1859.
By 1860 New Chum was a village. However, it was the Read more..
View Profile | Healesville Indigo 3688
Indigo is a shire in north-eastern Victoria formed on 18 November, 1994, by the union of Rutherglen shire and most of Beechworth, Chiltern and Yackandandah shires. Its administrative centre is at Beechworth.
The name comes form Indigo Creek, which flows north-westerly from the Read more..
View Profile | Indigo Jamieson 3723
Jamieson, a rural township and agricultural district is at the junction of the Goulburn and Jamieson Rivers, in country with river flats. It is 30 km. from Mansfield and 120 km. north-east of Melbourne.
Jamieson was a goldfield and a supply centre for gold fields in a belt of Read more..
View Profile | Jamieson Jan Juc 3228
Jan Juc is a coastal township on Bass Strait, immediately west of Torquay and 21 km. south of Geelong. It is on the Jan Juc Creek, which enters Bass Strait one kilometre west of Spring Creek.
Spring Creek separates Torquay from Jan Juc. About five kilometres upstream the origi Read more..
View Profile | Jan Juc Katamatite 3649
Katamatite, a rural township in northern Victoria, is in the Murray Valley irrigation area and is 42 km. north-east of Shepparton. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word naming or describing a local creek. The township is on Boosey Creek near its junction with Read more..
View Profile | Katamatite Katandra West 3634
Katandra West is a rural township in northern Victoria between Shepparton and Tungamah. It is situated in flat farmland which is irrigated by the East Goulburn Main Channel.
Katandra was named after the Katandra pastoral run, part of the Tallyaroopna run which was divided in t Read more..
View Profile | Katandra Katunga 3640
Katunga is a rural village in the Murray Valley irrigation area in northern Victoria. It is 10 km. north of Numurkah.
Katunga was originally the name of a district parish, and was given by a government surveyor, Alfred Leahy, in 1875. It is thought that Katunga was the name of Read more..
View Profile | Katunga Kialla & Kialla West 3631
The Kialla district is in the Goulburn Valley irrigation area, 10 km. south of Shepparton in northern Victoria. It is thought that the name was derived from that of an Aboriginal sub-tribal group. The name was also applied to part of the Goulburn River.
In 1870 the Kialla prim Read more..
View Profile | Kialla Kurunjang 3337
Kurunjang is a residential area 35 km. west-north-west of Melbourne, immediately north of Melton.
Small areas of housing were laid out in the early 1980s. The Mowbray Non-denominational College opened in 1983, from years 1 to 12. Adjoining it are a primary school, a secondary Read more..
View Profile | Kurunjang Kyabram 3619
Kyabram is a provincial township in northern Victoria, situated in the west Goulburn Valley irrigation area. It is 35 km. west of Shepparton.
During the 1870s when pastoral runs were subdivided for farm selections, a township site was reserved for the west Goulburn Valley. The Read more..
View Profile | Kyabram Lara 3212
Lara and Lara Lake comprise a residential town set in rural surrounds between Melbourne and Geelong, north of Geelong across Corio Bay. The are situated on Hovells Creek, which drains into Limeburners Bay which is an indent on the Corio Bay coastline.
The explorers Hume and Ho Read more..
View Profile | Lara Lemnos 3631
Lemnos, is a rural locality and small town in northern Victoria, 8 km. north-east of Shepparton. It is in the irrigated orchard/dairying country of the Goulburn Valley.
Lemnos was named after the island in the Aegean Sea to which Australian soldiers were evacuated after the Ga Read more..
View Profile | Lemnos Leopold 3224
Leopold, a residential and rural district on the Bellarine Peninsula, is 10 km. east-south-east of Geelong. Originally name Kensington, it was renamed Leopold in 1892 after Queen Victoria's son, the Duke of Albany.
Confusion with the Melbourne suburb of Kensington was a reaso Read more..
View Profile | Leopold
Advertising | Go To Top of Page
Subscribe to our FREE weekly newsletter below to keep up to date with all the best events & activities for Melbourne. Newsletters are sent once a week every Tuesday!